Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know this probably sounds like a dumb question...But the thermometer I have has an indoor and outdoor temp. Now naturally I am assuming I use the indoor temp? But just making sure because this is no where near a window, so how does it know what the temp is like outside? Here is a pic

Also, that reading is taken without any form of heat source. The cage is in the living room with the windows open. I am still trying to find a digital thermostat for pets (looked 3 places, no one had it!!) Anyway, I was watching the temp. It has not gone above 80 and was as low as 78. This is for the top option. Right now if I add a heat source I am afraid the lil guy will fry??

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You should still have a heat source, just in case night time temps drop. This would require the thermostat, which you can buy on ebay or Amazon. It seems like that's where a lot of people have to get their thermostats because a lot of pet stores don't carry them. Anyway, if you're using a CHE, that will work perfectly. I think there is also a way to hook up a space heater to a thermostat, but I'm not experienced with that at all. Either way, the heat source would only turn on if the temperature dropped below 74 or whatever, so the only time it would be on would be when your hedgie needs it to be on. :D

As far as that thermometer goes, the only thing I can think of is that one temperature reading is for where the actual digital display thing is, and the other temperature reading is from the probe that hangs down. I'm assuming that most people keep the thermometer inside and put the probe outside to see how warm it's getting outside? But I'm not sure. If you bought it new, there should be instructions in the booklet that comes with it. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The 'indoor' temp is the temp at the unit, the 'outdoor' temp is the one at the end of the probe - these thermometers are made so that you stick the probe out a window. Obviously it won't tell you the outside temperature if it isn't outside!! For hedgehog-use, stick the probe down to hang out of reach but inside the cage, this will give you the temp the hog is feeling from various heat sources, drafts, and so forth (outside temp), and the temp of the room in general (indoor temp).

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use the same type and placed the unit itself (inside) about 4 feet away from Hazels cage. The probe (outside) hangs in her cage like your photo.

I find mine is not all that acurate...even tho there is no temp difference because it's warm here right now enough to not have heat on the unit will display in- 78 and out- 80 :shock: when it is quite obvious it should read the same temp. The main room thermometer for the furnace which sits directly above the digital unit will read something else entirely. I just bought it before Hazel came a mth ago and need to replace it before he weather starts to get cooler :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
The photo is not clear enough to see what the thermometer shows as the outside versus the inside, but my guess is that the 80 is labeled "inside" (at the unit) and the 76 is labeled "outside" where the remote sensor is. The four degree difference is probably due to the fact that the sensor in at a lower place than the unit and since heat rises, a thermometer placed higher in the same room will register a temperature higher than one placed lower. Today there are some very good inexpensive outside/inside thermometers that that use a wireless transmitter powered by batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not a dumb question at all...because everyone will meet this question~I bought a multifunctional humidity meter few months ago,which with date, week, time, humidity, temperature, alarm clock, and back light. It also a perfect for travel, home and outdoor use, which is convenient to carry.I think it's worth buying one if you want to change a new one~Hope my suggestion can help you~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts