Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I just realized that Whyte has not quilled since I've had him. I believe I got him in September, was told he was about 8 weeks at the time, and now it is almost Feb which puts him at 6 months.

Did I miss the quilling? I clean up his poopies every day off a liner, I really have not seen any quills from him. (I clean entire cage once a week, no quills)

I've stared at his skin trying to see any quills coming through. He's been grumpy since I've owned him so I can't really go by that, hahahaa!

Could he have quilled before I got him or do any of you have "late quilling" hedgies?

Is it a large amount of quills I'm looking for? Or does that vary per hedgie as well?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I think the 6 month and 12 month quillings are much less intense than the 8 week ones. You might see a few fallen quills but there shouldn't be as many as there were when he was a baby.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hm. Ok well that's fine by me then, he has such a nice "coat" of quills, they are very strong and thick that quilling probably would have freaked me out. He is so pretty.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From the hedgehog Wiki, this is what they say:

First quilling: 4 weeks (~1 month)
Second quilling: 6 weeks (~1.5 months)
Third quilling/Adult Color quilling: 9 weeks (~2 months)
Adult quilling: 12 weeks (~3-5months)

Right now, Leroux is losing quills left and right and he is 13.5 weeks old. He started to lose a few here and there around 2 weeks ago, but the last 3-4 days they are all over his wheel, his liners, all over his hedgie bag.. :roll: So like a Mom who is getting worried he is growing up too fast,I try to "collect" as many of the fallen baby quills possible (this has also made for a very "interesting" bare foot walk into the hog room. :shock:

Sounds like you pretty much dodged the quilling period with your little Iloveeveryonesomuch -Whyte (sarcasm intended :lol: ). He most certainly is a handsome boy.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gave him a bath tonight with oil and was able to really look down at his skin, I'm not seeing new quills poking through, or short quills, not sure exactly what I was looking for but I didn't see anything unusual. Yah, the bath really made him like me. NOT. :roll: But at least I got to do a good inspection of him all over since he wasn't in a ball.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts