Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cage i currently have JS in is becoming too small and im going to build him a new one. Im going to maximize the space i have and make it 3' wide, 2' deep and 2' high.

A couple things i am considering:
Slide - Jeffrey loves to slide and i would like to incorporate this into my new design.
Climbing wall? - I am unsure of how to design this, what sorts of things do hedgehogs climb in the wild?
Alternative for wheel - I have a wheel, he is not really a fan of it at all. He will either just sit in it for a sec then get off, or use it for 1 min when its sideways, then leave. Im trying to devise something to give him exercise that is not a wheel. I am quite mechanically inclined so i was thinking about some sort of treadmill...

Also, what sorts of materials would you suggest for the base? i am going to get large gauge chicken wire for the walls and roof, but im not sure about the base. I have alot of wood and put recycled paper pulp bedding down currently so i am wondering if that would be ok? I would probably use particle board, JS is trained to use a litter box so excrement is not an issue. Some woods are treated with chemicals though and i am unsure if this would be detrimental for him.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What kind of chemicals? It would make things a lot easier if you listed what chemicals the wood is treated with, so people who have more knowledge in this would be able to tell you what is poisonous to hedgies and what isn't.

Also, for the wood, you'd need to get it coated and treated so that if there's ever an issue about mites, they can't get into the wood of the cage. This thread should give you an idea of what to use http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2561&p=20560&hilit=wood+cage#p20560

I wouldn't really suggest a "climbing wall". Even a fall off of something a few inches high can cause enough damage to kill a hedgie. Whether it be broken bones, or worse...Internal damage. Our hedgies aren't like the ones in the wild. While they can climb, they sometimes lack the quick response to ball up while falling. When I'm sitting on the ground, my hedgie climbs up into my lap and slides off in a superman pose, it doesn't occur to him to ball up.

Chicken wire is thin and if your hedgie tries to climb it, he could easily slice open his paw pads on the wire. The "wire" panels that people here use to build c&c cages are a much better choice. Yes, they will cost more, but the structure and texture of it would be much safer. You can check the cage discussion/example thread for pictures of the panels I am talking about.

What would your "slide" be made out of? Also, make sure the walls of the slide area good 5 inches or so, or better yet, enclosed, so your hedgie can't climb over and fall off the edge. Can easily make this side of the long side of the cage, with a ribbed ramp leading up, then a smooth side where he can slide down it. To make it even more interesting, could have a ramp that leads up to his "play" area where you can put his wheel, and the slide can be used to get back down to a lower level. But that's just if you want a 2nd lvl.

What kind of wheel are you currently using?

·
Registered
581 Posts
a c&c cage is the best way to go...chicken wire is also very sharp and will cut feet. hedgies do not need to climb or slide, both could lead to very painful injuries. what kind of wheel do you have?> is it dark enough in her cage when she is trying to run? Dora wont run unless it is completely dark in the room.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel is a giant: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753360.

The slide i currently have is slightly ribbed and coated in.. well its basically super glossy duct tape. I was considering making my new one out of vacuum-form plastic, lexan, or laminated wood. I like your idea of a wide slide with one side ribbed and one smooth.

When i said climbing wall, i meant more of a climbing ramp. somthing at a 45° angle but, if the slide is double sided, this wont be necessary.

Most woods are pressure treated with arsenic which is generally toxic to everyone. What would u suggest i coat my wood in to prevent mite infestation if i end up using wood for the base?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Vask said:
The wheel is a giant: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=2753360.

The slide i currently have is slightly ribbed and coated in.. well its basically super glossy duct tape. I was considering making my new one out of vacuum-form plastic, lexan, or laminated wood. I like your idea of a wide slide with one side ribbed and one smooth.

When i said climbing wall, i meant more of a climbing ramp. somthing at a 45° angle but, if the slide is double sided, this wont be necessary.

Most woods are pressure treated with arsenic which is generally toxic to everyone. What would u suggest i coat my wood in to prevent mite infestation if i end up using wood for the base?
The link u posted shows a 5 and a half inch wheel?
If that is correct that wheel is way to small for a hedgie :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, so i found this company that makes organic paints/varnishes
http://www.earthbornpaints.co.uk/eco-pa ... ypaint.php
it has ingredients on the site if anyone is aware of things to avoid.

I have a very large amount of basically the same stuff C&C is. I have an old bird cage that i can disassemble and utilize to make the walls. Jeffrey loves the 2nd level he has now so i am definitely going to include this.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Instead of wood, it might be good to look into using coroplast as the base. Easy to clean, and mites can't hide in there.

Just something to think about, since we seem to be moving more and more along the lines of a c&c cage :lol:

From the cage discussionshttp://www.hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71&st=0&sk=t&sd=a thread, I found this :
drpepperheather said:
If anyone was looking to build a C&C cage, I found a website with tons of different configurations that can be used for ideas. Now, this is a site for someone who actually sells these cages, so hopefully it's okay that I post it here for inspiration. If not, let me know and I'll delete it!

http://happycages.com/Links.htm

Lots of great ideas for c&c cages. Just remember that the ramps need to have high walls, or enclosed completely to prevent hedgie climbing and falling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Coroplast seems too flimsy. Im going to try and get alot of lexan, still looking for something cheaper though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
why would the base need to be sturdier than 4mil corrugated plastic? lightweight does not always mean flimsy...this stuff is plenty sturdy enough for a hedgehog to walk around on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to be able to pick it up if necessary. Im also generally not a fan of corrugated anything for building purposes.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Vask said:
Alternative for wheel - I have a wheel, he is not really a fan of it at all. He will either just sit in it for a sec then get off, or use it for 1 min when its sideways, then leave.
Reading through again, I'm not sure what you really mean about the wheel being "sideways".

Reaper makes some really good wheels here, have heard nothing but great things about it.
http://www.hedgehogwheel.com/

There are also flying saucers, which is different than the usual wheels. I guess it would be as close to "treadmill" as you can get. And it's very quiet.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3155602

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, i took a look at all of those immediately. If i tilt my wheel like a flying saucer, he runs in it occasionally. But until i build a new cage, there is no room for that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
if you are watching him run then that is the main reason he is not running most likely...most times the only evidence of a well used wheel is poop all over it the next morning,

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting. He normally doesnt mind when i spectate his activities. Right now i take him out at night every day to get exercise. Wheel wont fit at the moment as i said though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
there is too much more for him to do than wheel....you need to get him more room ASAP. he has to have more than an hour or two of exercise each night....they can run up to 10 miles a night in the wild.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Ya...My boy refuses to even come out if the lights are still on, or if there's a lot of noise. He'll just come out, eat, and go back to bed.

He'll only use his wheel when it's complete darkness and silent. He has a way of knowing when I sneak out of bed to spy on him too :lol: And that is enough to make him stop wheeling and look over(lights are still out, I use the small bit of light from my cell phone to see what he's doing). And sometimes, even that is enough to make him run back to bed.

So yes, you need to get a bigger cage asap so you can actually put the wheel in his cage and leave it in there overnight with the lights off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts