Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommates are complaining that the smell of my Hedgehog cage is seeping into the hall and up the stairs. I have a fairly small room with a door that leads to the hall. What would the best deodorizers be, and what tips are there for keeping the smell down? He is on Fleece liner and his cage is close to the door. Any suggestions would be helpful : )

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Wash his wheel daily and clean his liner more often and you won't have a smell problem. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have my wheel sitting in litter(Yesterday's News) and every morning I clean the wheel, sometimes with just water and sometimes with a 50/50 solution of water and vinigar and then wipe it clean with a wet paper towel. Then I spot clean the litter wich seems to do a really good job of absorbing the smell of his urine.The rest of his cage is lined with fleece. The whole proccess only takes about five minutes and his cage is pretty much odor free. I replace his fleece liner and the litter once a week. I live in a small apartment so smell is not an option and this routine works very well :)

Also, what are you feeding him? because I hear that if your feeding very rich foods that could be making his poop smell stronger.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
In addition to more frequent cleanings, you can also try putting a box of unscented arm and hammer baking soda/deodorizer somewhere near the cage.

And as funkybee said, food can also make a difference. Rich food like Wellness, as well as fish based food can cause stinkier poops.

·
Registered
594 Posts
They also make one of the arm and hammer baking soda things that you stick inside the refrigerator, I've heard a few people say they use these.

There pretty much the same thing like Immortalia mentioned but you can stick it inside the hedgies cage (away from hedgies reach).

I have 4 hedgies in our room and they don't really smell.
I spot clean their cages daily and I do a full cleaning of everything once a week.

I have a little Albino that comes to stay with me sometimes and it don't matter what you do her cage always smells. When she's here I have to do a full cleaning of her cage every day. and she still gets smelly. :?

I guess it just the difference in hedgie's.

*Edit: because my computer likes to post while I'm still typing :evil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts