Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile but finally joined because I get to pick up my hedgie from the breeder on Saturday morning! :D She will be 7 weeks old at that point and I'm naming her Olive. Pictures to come!!

Anyway, I did a ridiculous amount of research on the proper cage set-up and everything. I have pretty much everything I need for Olive to come home (still need to pick up food but that's easy, I've already got the freeze dried crickets and mealworms) however, the only component that I do not currently have is the wheel. I ordered the Cake Walk Supreme as recommended by this community, but it won't arrive for another 2-3 weeks per their shipping notification! :roll:

My question is - is it OK to not have the wheel for Olive at this point and then just set it up for her once it arrives (which will be at least a week since she's moved in)? Is there anything else I can do in the meantime? I would prefer not to go out and buy a wheel that she would only use for a week or two that is less superior than the Cake Walk. I did buy her plenty of toys, fleece and am planning on making her a pile of fleece strips for her to burrow/rearrange as she pleases.

Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think a 2-3 week delay won't be the end of the world. Make sure she has plenty of time with you outside her cage so she doesn't go stir crazy in the interim.

If you have the funds, you could always grab a comfort wheel at the store, then donate it (cleaned, of course) to a local Humane Society or other place nearby that houses/fosters small animals. That way it won't go to waste.

And you can always hope the CWS arrives sooner than anticipated :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I suppose I could pick up a smaller wheel in the interim, or even look for a used one on Craigslist or something. She is still pretty tiny at this point, so I don't need anything crazy. Of course I will have her out of the cage in the evenings to explore my living room - I guess I was wondering if that would be enough for her for a week or so. I just wish that the CWS folks offered expedited air shipping! They only have the option of ground. :roll: I'm hoping that it will get here soon though - they are based in Ohio and I'm in Boston, so it's not like it's coming from California or something.

·
Registered
372 Posts
2 to 3 weeks from Ohio sounds more like a manufacturing delay than a shipping delay. I routinely send packages between MD and Columbus, OH and it's never more than 5 days when I use ground.

Hedgehogs do not die if they don't have wheels. Thousands of hedgehogs live very happily without wheels. Essentials are a safe cage, food, water, warmth and medical care. Anything else is an extra and shouldn't be worried over if it can't be provided.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yes it is a manufacturing delay. One of my parts suppliers lost my order. It was found but in the meantime my extra wheel supply is gone. So I am not happy about the delay either. I will ship the wheels out ASAP as soon as the parts arrive. Should be any day now.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I never entertained the thought of a shipping delay. :| Hopefully it will get here soon. I don't think I'm going to buy a second wheel for the interim. I guess I'll just let Olive get used to her new home and play with her lots (assuming she likes to play) in the evenings and let her motor around the house.

I guess on the positive side, CWS business is booming and hedgehogs are being pampered! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts