Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My mom was watching my hedgehog this past week and when I came home, her feet and nails were very poopy. When I washed her feet and got the poop from out under her nails I saw that her nails looked very unusual. They are more yellowish and darker colored than they usually are and are deformed and almost scaly looking.

There was also some peeling on her nails and some pieces of some kind of a softer nail material under her nails and around them. I carefully removed this and that is the cause of the redness that can be seen under her nails in the photo. I also noticed a mild foul odor when I was cleaning this material from under her nails.

It also looks as though her pinky nail from one of her back feet has falled off. Her nails seem to be quite brittle and were easily breaking when I was cleaning them. I think she might have some kind of nail fungus but I haven't been able to find any information on this. Her nails look very similar to how nail fungus looks on a human.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, except when I was picking at her nails she was a little irritated. You can see from the photos that she is letting me handle her feet very easily. I am thinking of trying and killing the fungus with some hydrogen peroxide or apple cider vinegar, but I'm not sure what would be safest for her.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts