Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a question to pose before I call the vet for Wynn's appointment. She seems to have a deformed toenail on her back left foot. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it looks awkward to me. Just wondering if this is a common thing (I was told she was from a breeder- doubtfully a reputable one...) and if it looks like it would cause problems with her leg or if it doesn't seem to bother her, to just let it be?

Its the innermost toe on the foot you can see in the pik. Elongated and the quick is pretty long, so I'd have to dremel it to death over a period of time to shrink it back.

Thanks in advice for opinions!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I can't say for sure but it looks like a normal toe nail that has gotten to long and causing it to cross. You probably won't have luck with a dremel because hedgehogs don't tend to like noises like that. I'd use a small pair of nail clippers or some nail scissors for small animals and trim by hand. Over time when keeping them trimmed the quicks will sometimes recede if it from the nail getting to long. Id trim them up leaving a small silver of white so you don't hit the quick and see if the quick doesn't recede back over time. Hope this helps :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts