Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want my hedgie to be healthy and have good treats but i am insanely afraid and squeemish with bugs. plus when i had my dad offer one to my hedgie he didnt seem to care too much. do i have to give them live or can they be cut in half and fed? is it okay to not have insects in the diet? even though that sounds kind of dumb seeing as how they are insectivores.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The best way I have found is to use tweezers to pick up the mealworms(Hedgie fav) and now everytime they see the tweezers they come running to get the mealies its so cute.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Mealies could be cut in half just before feeding them. It might even get him interested in trying them, being able to smell them better. My hedgehog refused a mealie the first time I offered, then chewed it up and spit it back out on my hand. :roll: The next time I offered one, she snapped it up as fast as she could.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay i will try the tweezers and cutting it in half. the only thing is that just seeing the mealworm squirming around freaks me out soo bad, haha. i guess i'll have to try to get over it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Our oldest little girl, Dora, is a mealie machine. She will eat them until her sides split i think.

Millie on the other hand, wont even give more than a disinterested sniff or two.

They are both perfectly healthy, so while I know it is best if they have insects in their diet, I personally think that they can be healthy without them as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts