Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a container of 100 mealworms for Lily, for her holiday treat (I haven't been able to buy them for a couple of months). But today I was checking on them, and it seems like the majority of the worms are dead. -_- There's still some that are alive and seem okay, but definitely less than half of them. I'm not going to bother trying to get my money back, as I've already thrown the dead ones out, but I'm concerned about whether it's safe to feed the live ones to Lily. Should I just throw them all out and find someplace else to buy my worms in the future, or should they be okay to feed?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Don't feed any of them. If there are more than a couple dead, I will not feed. Go down the page and read about my beautiful Luke who died from contaminated mealworms. http://thehedgieden.webs.com/therainbowbridge.htm

I didn't even know those meal worms were contaminated because there were so few dead. It's not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I am NO expert, but my instincts tell me to through them all out, just in case. However, you might want to wait for a better opinion then mine.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow Nancy, that's horrible...I'm so sorry that something so stupid ended in the death of a sweet little baby like Luke. :( Thank you both for your replies, and I definitely won't feed any of them to her. That's the direction I was thinking, but just wanted to check. I think I may find a new pet store to buy mealies at too...I don't want to take any chances.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Always open the container before you purchase it and dig through the top portion of the container. You will find out quickly that way if it is worth purchasing or not. I have found containers that were dry on top but soaking wet near the bottom, black mealworms, dried out mealworms, etc. I've never had a store employee say anything to me... they know what I'm doing, I'm looking for healthy mealworms.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Some stores will also remove the dead ones so you think you are buying a healthy container. I had that happen at another store a while after we discovered the cause of the illness and death was mealworms. As the girl walked out of the back with the mealworm container she commented that she'd picked all the dead out. UM NO! Don't want it now. Call me paranoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.