Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day 1: I left "Hufflepuff" alone for the first day, he woke up around 2am, ate a lil kibble and continued to pretend to be nothing more than a fleece blanket.

Day 2: took him out for a short handling session, took him out of his fleece sleeping bag, but he wanted to hide under it, so i thought this was a fair meeting in the middle. Turned the lights down low, and kept quiet. Offered him a meal worm on a lid, the pulled the lid under and returned it sans (thats "without" for all you non-frenchie types ;) ) mealworm. Oh and he chowed down on his kibble around 2am, and re-arranged his cage (although he mistook his igloo as a port-a-potty).

(I'm getting to my point very shortly- stick with me)

Day 3: Took him out of his sleeping bag-leaving him covered slightly, offered meat and mealworm, took a piece of meat.. left the mealworm. This time, i took the sleeping bag away completely. He seemed... curious... he walked around a bit, gave me a good sniff over and tried to hide under a pillow to poop and pee.

And here's my question: am i better off leaving him covered-where he just stays in the one spot, or is it good for him to be un-covered-where he seems to sniff and walk around a bit? I dont wanna push the lil guy too far out of his comfort zone too soon.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Some hedgehogs like to potty in private and Joey tends to if possible. He was a bag man here and slept in his bag but pottied in the igloo when he had it and tubes.

When you have him out, let him explore a bit but give him the option of a hiding place. Also try offering him some kibble when you first get him up.

He'ell soon be comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The first week is the hardest for them, but he will soon come out of his shell :) I still remember the first few days I got my little guy Wilson. He still likes to potty in private.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts