Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just received a 1 yr old hedgehog from a friend. A towel was used for bedding, so i put in a second one. The nights are cooling down to 11C/54F, but the windows are closed and i have a third towel on top of his house. Im fixing my heating issue today. Yesterday i confronted him with a pellet so he can get my scent. Today i picked him up for about a half hour. The only time he curled into a complete ball was when i rolled him on his back. The quills are more painful than i thought. Got pooed on twice. I tried to hand feed a pellet but he wouldn't eat. He's currently hiding. Seems like he's more active during the night. I hope to bond with him fast and to earn his trust. Ill post a picture later.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hey, welcome and congrats!

Yes, try to keep him warm. You will need to find a way to keep his cage at a consistent 23-25*. Hedgies are nocturnal, so he will always be up at night. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
If possible, try to use a fleece blanket instead of a towel. Hedgehogs can sometimes get their toes snagged on the fabric of a towel.

And when you say pellet, what do you mean? What exactly are you feeding him? They should be feed a mixture of high quality cat foods.

Other than that, I'd say you're off to a pretty good start :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts