Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive had cooper since end of december and they said he was 8 weeks old when i brought him home. he started losing quills since beginning of january and it seemed like the normal quilling time so i didnt really look into it. its been a month already and hes still losing quills, but now i just recently looked at his legs and i saw some yellow colored crusty stuff on it. i never really got a chance to get a good look at his legs before but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced it and i was wondering if its normal. oh i forgot to mention the vet gave him revolution just a precaution on his last visit which was december 31st. if anyone knows anything please help! :) just another question they do get super grumpy during quilling right? mine is still huffing and puffing at me and wont let me pet him. :( thanks!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Has he had a bath? If so, how often are you bathing him? Yellow crusties could be pee build-up on the fur, my Lhasa gets it. Riley gets yellowish fur from his wheeling-while-poop-peeing episodes but it takes several days for it to get the yellow color. By then he smells and needs a bath anyhow. I don't always do full baths, even to get that stuff off, just enough to sit his behind in and wash off poopy feet. Rinse well. I don't use soap for those quickie clean up baths.

If you are still concerned, I would suggest posting pictures here for more advice, or if its really out of hand contact your vet.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It could also be that he's been enjoying his "boy time" and that may be dried semen. A bath would probably help.

Funny too, Cooper is my reserve name for the next hedgie I get. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohhh...ok. lol yeah hes a runner, so thats probably pee stuck onto his legs. :lol: i try to bathe him at least once every two weeks and wipe his feet as often as i can. i sure hope i never have to walk in on him doing his boy time...i would be very embarassed haha.

·
Registered
594 Posts
stinkytofu said:
i sure hope i never have to walk in on him doing his boy time...i would be very embarassed haha.
Try getting him out because someone wants to see him, set him in the floor and he goes behind the door to poop while we are watching and then decides he needs to have boy time right there in front of us, and then what does he do?? he licks it off the carpet and ANOINTS with it!! Right there in front of everyone!

It was so cute, funny & gross all at the same time.
*shakes head at Vander*

By the way is his fur just discolored or does it look like dry skin? or does it resemble a cornmeal type of texture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts