Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently got my hedgehog Petey about a week and a half ago and he had some neon greenish stool. I became worried so I took him to the vet and the vet took a fecal sample as well as did an examination on him. She gave me some meds and his poop went from diarrhea to a Darkish Foresty Gree Tar Like substance that really smells. The vet also emailed me yesterday to let me know that his poop sample came out negative for any viral infections or parasites.

I've been reading around on the forums and it said that this could be due to stress? He's been eating rather well, I always wake up to an empty food bowl and I'm not awake long enough to hear him running on his wheel, but I see some bedding on it in the mornings. However I am a little concerned about his health and don't want him getting sicker on me.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Did they test for bacterial infections? And what food are you feeding him?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dark green and tarish isn't good, Charlie had that. I wouldn't say it's stress because when howie gets stressed it's only tinged green but it's still formed and the consistency is the same. Charlie also had neon green poop, girl pretty much went through the whole rainbow. As far as I know two different fecal tests are done, one on site for parasites and one is a fecal culture sent to the lab for bacterial tests. If you ask for a fecal test they typically just do the parasites test unless you say I want it sent to the lab. I suggest fecal culture because I also think it's bacterial. Antibiotics can be hard on their systems especially if it's treating the wrong thing so the more information you have to offer the vet the better off you'll be. I wrote down every food she's had protein fat fiber moisture and ingredients. I had a food log, weight log And I dunno if this is gross but I had a poop book lol so I'd write down what every poop she had looked like. I'm sure your situation wasn't as drastic as Charlie's but it was helpful recording everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts