Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old male Hedgehog named Spork.

I just noticed today that he seems to be itchy, mostly around his right ear. I picked him up and looked at him closely. His skin does seem a little dry but not a lot of flaking. He does however seem to have pink skin in some places and darker blotches almost black in other. Is this normal for hedgehogs or should he have pink flesh everywhere under his quills. The dark spots are fairly large and only where he has quills.

He also just now was drinking water and anointing himself, but almost like he was spreading the water over his body.

Any idea of what it could be? Should I be moisturizing him?

Thanks,
Spork & Me

·
Registered
793 Posts
I'm not sure about the itching, that would be a better topic for a veteran of the forum to suggest.

As for the skin coloration under that quills, all I can say is that my boy's skin is "mottled" under the places he has regular quills, and then all pink patches underneath the areas where he has all-white pinto-markings. His tummy seems to fairly pink though. As he hasn't been diagnosed as having any problems, I'd say he's ok and might be an example you could compare to your own little guy. ^_^

~katie

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
For the itchiness he may enjoy a soothing oatmeal bath, I use Aveeno and it works good for me. I believe the different colored patches are normal, I think I read this under the color identification portion where they compare traits of Algerian vs White Bellied coloring. It has been awhile so Im unsure of the direct link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts