Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a daddy long legs that has been flying around my apt for the last week. I'm strangely one of those 'couldn't kill a fly' people, so just letting it move around.

Daddy long legs are suppose to be highly poisonous though, if eaten. They can't bit humans and so pose no threat. I'm wondering if I should be concerned for Sylvie though if it get's into her cage and she eats it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't know why you would risk it. Just scootch it onto a paper plate or something and take it outside. Don't have to kill something to get it out of your house, just capture and release.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol, this is true. Daddy long legs I find are hard to catch though. Every time I move near it, it flies away. Trying to figure out where it came from. November in Nova Scotia, you don't see many daddy long legs

·
Registered
274 Posts
Oh no Daddy long legs are very easy to catch, they're quite slow especially when on a wall, just get a cup and when its on the wall, pounce, failing that get a family member or friend to help :)
I find them alot easier than a spider to catch thats for sure :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Are you sure they're daddy long legs and not house spiders? There is a difference. We've found these house spiders have kind of taken over in recent years. We never used to have them at all but now they are around constantly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Actually, daddy long legs CAN bite people. They just very rarely ever do. And they are poisonous but their venom is not potent enough to kill a person.

Although I think that you are talking about another insect since daddy long legs are spiders and can not fly.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Haha, I call them big-fluttery-creepy-nasty-bugs-that-you-scream-for-help-for-someone-else-to-kill-as-fast-as-possible. Don't like them. :lol:

I think around there the "correct" (or most used) term is mosquito hawk or mosquito killer.

·
Registered
902 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Haha, I call them big-fluttery-creepy-nasty-bugs-that-you-scream-for-help-for-someone-else-to-kill-as-fast-as-possible. Don't like them. :lol:
Ditto that OH MY STARS what IS that thing??? Wasn't that one of the creatures in the movie The Myst?? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/

Nasty, ok I wouldn't be able to grab it to feed it to my hedgie, and definitely forget about my paper-plate suggestion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, we call them crane flies up here too. They're not poisonous, in fact, not at all. That's an old wives' tale, as well as the Daddy Long Legs (though it contains venom, but not potent to anything larger than a finger nail).

Crane flies spend most of their lives underground as leatherjackets. If they can avoid being eaten by starlings they hatch out in September, have a days uninhibited sex, lay eggs in the ground and get eaten by blackbirds.

Not much of a life.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts