Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
When cutting plastic to add ventilation to my rodent cages (I wire on hardware cloth) I start the hole with a dremel and use a heavy duty exacto knife to cut. Depending on the plastic that may not work, if it is too thick.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I haven't cut holes in ones like that but on the plastic bins I use a drill to drill the small holes and then the larger hole for the tubes and all i use my dremel tool with a router bit.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How high are the cage walls? Rather than cutting a hole, you could snip some of the wires & create a 'safe' ramp between the two cages (I'm thinking a dryer hose like system where the bridge is enclosed, might be safest)

·
Registered
18 Posts
another idea is to use what is called a "hole saw", its an attachment for a handdrill, and are sold in various diameters at the hardware store. It has a pilot drill in the center, and its outer diameter cuts like a saw would.

The drawback to this is how much use would you have for it after you use it once for the cage. But its a hassle-free solution

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Erik_Julius said:
another idea is to use what is called a "hole saw", its an attachment for a handdrill, and are sold in various diameters at the hardware store. It has a pilot drill in the center, and its outer diameter cuts like a saw would.

The drawback to this is how much use would you have for it after you use it once for the cage. But its a hassle-free solution
I went and bought a "hole saw" it was $40 with the pilot bit and it works amazingly well cuts a perfect hole in just seconds i will never use a dremel or soldering iron again.
Thanks for sharing :D i was in the process of making 10 new cages and now it will be a breeze and will look alot better with the perfect sized hole to slide the pvc pipe through.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like the soldering iron method. Just make sure your outside or in a well vented room. When I was using the drill I cracked the plastic but melted it back together with the soldering iron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts