Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've read the other cut foot threads, so I think I'm okay on first aid and care, but I'm wondering about reintroducing my hedgie's wheel safely.

Gideon is just about three months old, and we've had him since late October. He has a CSW or similar design (we bought it from our breeder) and loves to wheel and wheel and wheel. On Monday I noticed telltale bloody paw prints, and upon closer inspection saw that he had a little cut on one of his hind feet, right in between the last two toes on the outside. It looked okay and didn't seem to bother him, so I just kept it clean and replaced his wheel with other things to do until it had scabbed over and looked like it was well on its way to healing.

After a few days, I introduced his wheel for a limited time period (about two hours, while I was awake) and it didn't seem to irritate his foot, so I put it in for a whole night as before. My husband checked in the morning, and everything looked good. But later in the evening, after he was out and about, I picked him up and sure enough he had reopened the cut. Should I keep the wheel out/limit wheeling time until it's completely healed? Can this become an ongoing problem (wheeling until he hurts himself)? Finally, is polysporin available in the US? I've never seen it, just bacitracin and neosporin.

Thank you for reading my long post! This is a great forum for hedgehog newbies like me!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Neosporin is okay to use as long as it's the normal kind, no pain reliever or extra strength.

I'm not sure about the wheel though. I might leave it out for a few more days and see if his foot heals. Is there anything else he could have damaged his foot on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's possible he might have scratched himself with his own toenail while running or some such thing. His nails are pretty sharp and I've only been able to trim one foot so far. He catches on immediately to what I'm doing and balls up! Thank you for the Neosporin tip!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts