Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two new additions to the family (Yay!), from someone who didnt seem to take very good care of their hogs. The one girl is seemingly overweight, and her nails have curled under her toes. She is very grouchy, and wont allow me to access her feet at all. How can I go about this?

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I would hope you are quarantining them. You don't want anyone passing cooties.

Nails, first off you don't need to do them all at one shot. It's not a marathon. Also her quick may have grown longer so she might need to be gradually clipped.

You could try doing it in the tub, in a cloth with a foot exposed, by scuffing her, or placing a treat on a plate for her and trimming as she stands there. That may be the best option. Also some tools require a bit less handling than others. The scissor clippers for cuticles don't need as many hands, at least for me. Worst case scenario, when she gets her checkup from the vet, you have them trim them. Then work with her about having her feet touched.

·
Registered
22 Posts
wow, the hedgie in the youtube vid is adorable!
Thank you for the clarification, Shnoot is a little fat right now, but we'll try it with supporting her bum just to get her used to it in case it's needed. :) thank you!

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Just getting them relaxed enough to get them is sometimes a challenge.
Tip: hedgeHOG treats are great. Even if it's a piece of normal food. Sit it on a flat surface in front of your hedgehog, wait for the obvious snacking to start, let them finish their bite and up they go.
Also confidence can't be overdone with this. If you are hesitant or reluctant, your hedgehog has already won the battle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts