Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Sugar for a week. I have to say she is a moody little thing. I noticed between yesterday and today about 4 quills laying in her bed. She is approx 9-10wks old, I think. I made a little bag/sleep sack to hold her in. She has an igloo, she has a fleece liner in her cage and her little sack is also made of fleece. She does not want me to hold her. She wiggles so much that I have to put her in her cage or I might drop her. When I give her free reign she will find the nearest corner and just stay there. I put her in the warm fleece bag I made for her but she just crawls out and then holding her is just impossible. She does not curl up in a ball she just trys to get a way. I am not sure what to try. I am trying to bond with her but she does not seem to want any part of it. Any suggestions?

Also, should she sleep ALL day or just most of it. Light and heat are not a problem.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sounds like you have a little explorer on your hands that wants no part of cuddleing and while disheartening it is completely normal. And hedgehogs are nocturnal by nature so she will most likely be sleeping anytime there is light......our day is her night.....And concerning the quills it sounds like she is going through her quilling where she is losing her baby quills and her adult quills are growing in....this is quite uncomfortable for them and may be a contributing factor in her not wanting to be help....imagine if you had thousands of quills trying to break through your skin, you probably wouldn't be in much of a cuddly mood either....just have patience, her not balling, huffing, popping or quilling up is a very good sign. sounds like she just wants no part of being held. you can bond by getting a playpen and getting her a small animal playpen and sitting in it with her while she roams or hedgie proof a room and let her free roam while you sit in the floor. just make sure the room is dim and no loud noises as both of these things can make her nervous and on the defensive.

Chad

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It seems like her quilling is making her quite uncomfortable, and crawling around with fabric dragging on her little spines might be annoying her. Have you tried just sitting with her in your lap with just a fleecie under her and nothing above? She'd appreciate the warmth from you, while nothing's actually touching her back. With my hedgie, he's shuffle around a bit, then settle down(though I have a sleeper, not an explorer), but you should give that a try while you're sitting on the ground with her.

A nice warm oatmeal bath would help soothe her skin as well. Then you can either add vit e or flaxseed oil into the water and wash it over her back...or...What I do is drop flaxseed oil directly onto my hedgie's back about once a week. With the big capsules, I'll add 3-4 drops of the flax oil onto his food, then use the rest on his back. It really does help and keeps his skin nicely moisturized. Of course, if she's relatively clean, you can apply the oil on her back without the bath, since you haven't had her for all that long yet. I only bath about once a month, sometimes more depending on how dirty he is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried sitting on the floor with her on my lap with a fleecie. She does not like to stay and just gets off and goes to a corner. You are probably right about the snuggle sack, she probably does not want the material touching her back right now. I am curious, I have offered her live, warm mealies 2 times and both times she does not even attempt to be interested. She does like apples. I noticed a little bit of blood in her poop tonight. Should I be alarmed?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You really should call your vet and make an appointment for your hedgie as soon as possible.

Have you checked her all over for other cuts that might have caused the blood? Sometimes, hedgies can run their feet bloody. If there are no other physical signs of anything on your hedgie, you really need to call your vet and get your hedgie looked at asap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd agree with Immortalia, because Oona had a problem like that and it turned out she had a serious problem with her uterus. Because it was handled quickly enough, the problem didn't likely spread to other organs--samples came up negative--but if you wait too long things will only get worse.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts