Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Crusty ragged ears can be caused by fungus, mites or simply be a buildup of dry skin. Rub something like vasaline, bag balm, Vitamin E oil, Flax seed oil, or human nipple cream on the edges of the ears nightly and within a week the raggedness should start to come off. If after a week there is no improvement a vet visit is needed to check for fungus or mites.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nancy said:
Crusty ragged ears can be caused by fungus, mites or simply be a buildup of dry skin. Rub something like vasaline, bag balm, Vitamin E oil, Flax seed oil, or human nipple cream on the edges of the ears nightly and within a week the raggedness should start to come off. If after a week there is no improvement a vet visit is needed to check for fungus or mites.
I agree with you, Nancy;

Put Vitamin E with massage on them and it will help. If you do that each days they will become better and normal!!

I'll try to find picture, before and after, of a hedgehog that had this problem!! ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here are the pictures. They are from a friend (Melanie).

When she got him:

And then, with only Vitamin E each day:

Just before winters coming, I put vitamin E on my hedgehogs' skin and ears, and I never had that problem!! ;)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Some hedgehogs are really prone to ragged ears. My Peaches had to have her ears done almost weekly or the edges would start to get thick. I've had others that lived 4 and 5 years and never once had any sign of ragged ears starting. It also doesn't seem to make any difference if the hedgehog has dry skin or not. Peaches never had dry skin until her last year when she was sick. Others with really dry skin, never had an issue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My hedgies ears arent as bad as the one pic you showed but they still are a little illl try the vitamin e. :D

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I've had some with ears as bad or worse than that and within 2-3 days of putting nipple cream on them the crud has come off. It all depends on how well s/he lets it be rubbed in. The nipple cream softens it so it just pulls off.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm not sure 'cause it never happened to me. But I know that you can see a difference in only a couple days. So I would say in 1 or 2 mouth if the treatment is well done every day. But I'm not sure. :roll: I know that it's fast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well my mom bought him some vermonts original bag balm, it said you can use it on pets but im not sure if its safe on hedgies. It says it helps to keep superficial tissue moist and soft it also says its for cows utters after milking.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Bag balm is fine to use. Use a small amount and try to rub it in as much as she will let you each night. If you do manage to get it rubbed in, the fingers should start to come off after a few days.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well ive been applying some and its not as easy as i thought it was going to be, he doesnt bite me or anything but he just wont hold still. I manage to get some of it on though when he is laying down almost asleep. I think his ears are getting better im not sure though, they seem softer so i think its working. Ill keep applying the cream until his ears look normal. Thanks everyone for your advice it was very helpful! :D

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Vit E oil comes in capsules. Try putting a bit of the Vit E on a cloth for him to smell. He may get into it and not notice you rubbing his ears. I use Human mother nipple cream and all I have to do is rub a bit on a cloth and it keeps them occupied. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts