Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

In another thread I mentioned that my new hedgehog was wheezing/sneezing/sniffling. Making a weird sound and kept licking her nose.

When I took her in to the vet last week there was stuff stuck on her nose and skin(hair part) and the vet said it was probably just food. It was crustyish.

I took a look again today and gave her a bath to try to get it off. It wouldn't come off... If it was food you would think that it would soften up and come off..

Then I noticed a clump of hair fell off with the stuff stuck (pic attached). Also a quill fell off that had crust on it.. I have attached pictures to show the crust on her skin.

It's been 6 days since clavamox...and she is still sniffling. Does it take this long to see some results for URI? Maybe not URI? Poop still green. The probiotics seem to have cleared the mucous. Still eating. Hope this is not an infection on her skin?

Vet is closed till Thursday or Friday I believe.. Should I be panicking? It's been so long that I should have been more concerned I guess...

Hedgehog Erinaceidae Domesticated hedgehog Rodent Snout

Head Eye Plant Rodent Whiskers
[/ATTACH]

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Looks like a skin infection to me - I'd head to the vet again for a skin scraping. I'd also maybe have them take a culture of the nose crusties. It might be you need another antibiotic to completely fight off the URI, especially if you finished the Clavamox & haven't seen any improvement. From what I've read (though I never experienced a URI with Lily, so I could be wrong), you should see a definite improvement or the symptoms should be completely gone by the end of a course of antibiotics.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response abbys and lilysmommy again! lol. Guess i'll call the vet on boxing day or whenever they in

Just wondering can antibiotics make poop this green?? Just happened right now, have not seen anything this green on here or before lol

Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Serpent Jewellery

Pollinator Insect Arthropod Moths and butterflies Finger

Thanks

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Yup, those are definitely antibiotic poops! Probiotics like Bene-Bac or acidophilus can help with that a bit (can't recall if I've already told you or not...lots of people giving antibiotics lately!). First is found at pet stores (or vet), second at the pharmacy. I've only used acidophilus & just give a good-sized pinch (1/4-1/2 capsule) sprinkled on the food. Good luck & I hope you guys find out what's going on with the poor girl!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.