Hedgehog Central banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Great ideas Ava99. If everyone works together giving experiences, opinions and reasons why a food has or has not worked for them we could have a great food list. That is providing someone (TWOCGAR? ;) ) is willing to compile all the information.

Over time, issues do show up such as Herisson has posted and only through everyone giving input do we find out about these issues. Herisson in particular is a wonderful example as she has the before and after lab reports to prove what the certain foods were doing.

If a group of owners/breeders/rescues are consistently feeding XYZ and seeing hedgehogs getting sick and dieing at a younger than average age, then do we suspect the food? Likewise if we see a group of owners/breeders/rescues consistently feeding ABC and their hedgehogs are living to a ripe old age, does that mean ABC is the food most suited to hedgehogs?

It takes years for trends to show up in humans and cats and dogs and billions of dollars are spent studying these things so it's not likely there will be any major breakthroughs in hedgehog feeding for years to come. If everyone gives their experiences and it is written down somewhere, then someone else might realize, yeah, that happened to my hedgehog too when I fed XYZ. We've already seen this happen with the number of upset tummies caused by Wellness and Herissons issues that were resolved by removing Wellness. Every tidbit of information helps. What one person has noticed may not seem significant to them at the time, but when it's mentioned, often someone else will have noticed the same thing.

Of course this is way beyond the scope of a food list, but a new food list is a start and as people comment on it and give their experiences, in another few years, we will most likely start to see other trends with certain foods. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I'm still willing to work on everything I feel really ill last night and still not feeling fantastic, but I'll be doing some asking and investigating to compile a listing shortly :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Alright so feeling about 50% better after a lot of OTC meds I will be compiling a list not of cat food alone but off hedgehog foods.

As it stands right now I will be asking those with long term experience of at minimum two years of hedgehog ownership and breeders/former breeders with at least two years experience on their diet reasoning and found methods.

As I feel comfortable I will be asking people with less experience or people trying creative ideas in diets and their findings.

Keep in mind I know there will be opinions, but I want to try to lean towards opinionated factors as in I have found feeding _____ has led to issues in their digestive track or I have found since switching to _____ their skin has been increasingly less dry or I have found by adding a _____ fruit to their daily diet their activeness has increased.

Those are just examples, I will be challenging everything cause I want this list to have solid reasoning to fruits/veggies, cooked meats, baby food, kibble, dog kibble, etc.

I am expecting this project to take anywhere up to 3 months (Likely More) depending on free time, I will be wanting to contact plenty of experienced people and owners on their thoughts and feelings on the subject and will ensure the list includes the following:

- Cat Food
- Ingredients
- Protein/Fat/Fiber/Moisture %(s)
- Kibble Size (I will do my best to compile this however I do not know if this will be complete)
- Reason(s) both positive and negative found by adding it to a hedgehog diet.

- Dog Food
- Ingredients
- Protein/Fat/Fiber/Moisture %(s)
- Kibble Size (I will do my best to compile this however I do not know if this will be complete)

Cooked Meats
- How Cooked
- Fat/lean content

Cooked Meatball w/Veggies
- How Cooked
- Vegetables added
- Fat/lean content

Baby Foods
- Ingredients
- Amount per serving of Fat/Fiber/Sugars/Protein (In Grams)

Fruit & Veggies
- Serving Size of Fruit/Veggie

Insects
- Size of Insect Species (Mostly the worms as they vary in sizes)
- Nutritional Content
- What they are gut fed prior to being feed to hedgehogs
- Fed Alive/Frozen & Defrosted

If you have been working exclusively with any of the special diets please email me detailed info at [email protected]

If someone feels I missed something feel free to let me know I will be open to expanding this listing within reason :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
hanhan27 said:
Don't forget insects :)
I don't know what your talking about, Insects are on there and I most certainly didn't edit my post a few moments after you posted as the forum suggests XD.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just a quick suggestion...survey monkey and such sites allow you to simply send a survey link (say about a food) that people can answer and then it compiles the results for you based on the question results. In order to decifer between experienced opinions and newbies you would need only make it a question. Would be a lot of work to do a survey for each food type tho!

I'm prone to trying foods not only that may be the most healthy but that others suggested their hedgies actually "Like" the taste of. Many great kibbles based on ingredients but that doesn't help if they won't eat it. Individual experiences are rather helpful. For instance I'm kinda reconsidering the Innova low fat because Hazel does not seem to like it much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I actually just paid for a website domain and depending on circumstances I may program my own survey up as most sites put limits on free responses and the amount of questions.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts