Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get permission from one of the administrators to which I have before posting this asking all hedgehog owners that wish to suggest foods for the new listing I am compiling.

This listing will follow the HHC guidelines of Less than 32% Fat and Less than 15% Fat and include first and foremost ingredients to which will not include corn or wheat as the highly recommended.

I will still include some of the good quality foods that do have corn and/or wheat in a separate section cause I am aware of many quality breeders who mix some that don't follow the above specified guidelines and I want to include those choices on the listing as well.

I also will make a smaller separate listing for under six months and/or highly active hedgehogs that require a high fat content diet.

All listed foods will contain the following information:

- Name of Food
- Ingredients
- Crude Analysis (Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture)

I would like to request that anyone would would like to provide their mixes of foods which meet these qualifications to do so, while I will be going through every cat food for the information if you provide the names, ingredients, and crude analysis it will help me expedite the process even a small amount.

I'd prefer you email it to me or PM me the information if you can assist me with your information so we can provide a better listing for owners.

email - [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
TWCOGAR said:
I wanted to get permission from one of the administrators to which I have before posting this asking all hedgehog owners that wish to suggest foods for the new listing I am compiling.

This listing will follow the HHC guidelines of Less than 32% Protein and Less than 15% Fat and include first and foremost ingredients to which will not include corn or wheat as the highly recommended.

I will still include some of the good quality foods that do have corn and/or wheat in a separate section cause I am aware of many quality breeders who mix some that don't follow the above specified guidelines and I want to include those choices on the listing as well.

I also will make a smaller separate listing for under six months and/or highly active hedgehogs that require a high fat content diet.

All listed foods will contain the following information:

- Name of Food
- Ingredients
- Crude Analysis (Protein, Fat, Fiber, Moisture)

I would like to request that anyone would would like to provide their mixes of foods which meet these qualifications to do so, while I will be going through every cat food for the information if you provide the names, ingredients, and crude analysis it will help me expedite the process even a small amount.

I'd prefer you email it to me or PM me the information if you can assist me with your information so we can provide a better listing for owners.

email - [email protected]
TYPO Correction Less than 32% Protein and Less than 15% Fat*

·
Registered
396 Posts
great idea...i will happily contribute all that i have used in my mixes... :D i will email &/or post as full list ASAP.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I made a list of over 70 cat foods and their protein, fat, fiber, moisture and first 5. It's all colour coded for under 6 months/runner, over 6 months, meat in first 2 ingredients and warning for fish. I can upload it onto here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CanadienHedgie said:
I made a list of over 70 cat foods and their protein, fat, fiber, moisture and first 5. It's all colour coded for under 6 months/runner, over 6 months, meat in first 2 ingredients and warning for fish. I can upload it onto here.
You can and I'll just add the rest of the ingredients to the listing as its important to know them all on an individual hedgehog basis you may identify things they area allergic or otherwise prone to illness to. I wouldn't want someone to know something has an issue and look at the list see the first five and end up with a sick hedgie :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Breeders use some food still with them including ones here if I am not mistaken and they take wonderful care of hedgehogs

I believe corn is a undigested product and the list will incorporate warnings stating such thing, I want a full complete list not a almost complete list :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
TWCOGAR said:
Breeders use some food still with them including ones here if I am not mistaken and they take wonderful care of hedgehogs

I believe corn is a undigested product and the list will incorporate warnings stating such thing, I want a full complete list not a almost complete list :)
Whether breeders use it or not corn in my opinion does not belong in any animal's food really.
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... food-corn/

I understand that want for a complete, I'd just make that clear on the list for those who may not know a lot about animal nutrition.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
TWCOGAR said:

You can take wonderful care of a hedgehog and still feed it crappy food. Just wanted to throw that out there.

By a "complete list", what do you mean? A complete list of every cat food that people on HHC feed their hedgehogs? Or a complete list of acceptable cat foods with good ingredients and a guaranteed analysis in the right ball park? Just because a breeder feeds it to their hedgehogs, doesn't mean the food is good... look at *ahem* Vickie's Hedgehogs. Or the breeder I got Milly from, who feeds all of his hedgehogs, babies and adults, one kind of Purina (first few ingredients are poultry by-product meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal. Umm... ew).

I guess I'm just curious what the point of including the crappy foods in the list is, other than the fact that some breeders feed them to their hedgies lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hanhan27 said:
TWCOGAR said:

You can take wonderful care of a hedgehog and still feed it crappy food. Just wanted to throw that out there.

By a "complete list", what do you mean? A complete list of every cat food that people on HHC feed their hedgehogs? Or a complete list of acceptable cat foods with good ingredients and a guaranteed analysis in the right ball park? Just because a breeder feeds it to their hedgehogs, doesn't mean the food is good... look at *ahem* Vickie's Hedgehogs. Or the breeder I got Milly from, who feeds all of his hedgehogs, babies and adults, one kind of Purina (first few ingredients are poultry by-product meal, corn meal, corn gluten meal. Umm... ew).

I guess I'm just curious what the point of including the crappy foods in the list is, other than the fact that some breeders feed them to their hedgies lol
I am aware of LarryT and others feeding food a lot of people here consider crap and I want to note very respectable people use them and have very happy and healthy hedgehogs.

I am aware of corn issues very much thank you for informing me of something I know.

My list was pretty much going to be exactly like Canadians and I had asked for permission to even do it from one of the admins here.

I was going to have the highly recommended foods and then young and active hedgehog foods and then good or lesser foods which are widely used with no real issues by breeders who are good, Spike's Delight is crap I am aware.

Purina Chicken and Rice is actually used by many very respected breeders from what I know of, and if you look a lot of the breeders here will even post to saying they use such things in their mix.

I felt it was just something to note in the list but with proper explanation on the topic to why these are typically avoided.

I will be requesting this topic closed because I really don't want this to turn into some flame war because of what is or isn't best as I have stated Hedgehog health and Diet has come a long way but IMHO its still no where near where it needs to be so many unknowns and I am certain I and everyone is still making little mistakes which will happens for years still to come.

All i wanted to do was provide a updated list to help our community and nothing more

·
Registered
182 Posts
Woah, I was not being snappish in any way so you should probably calm down.

My point is just because breeders use it doesn't mean it's good food. And I too was just wondering what the updated list was going to be like. You got permission, great fantastic. I just was throwing in my two cents on the inclusion of crap foods in a list that's available for newcomers. If breeders have no problem feeding crappy food, that's just awesome.

You should not get your panties in a bundle over people asking questions and then ask for the thread to be closed because your feeling were hurt. Jeez.

·
Registered
468 Posts
leaveittoweaver said:
You should not get your panties in a bundle over people asking questions and then ask for the thread to be closed because your feeling were hurt. Jeez.
The point of closing a topic isn't because someone's feeling got hurt, it's because this thread is going no where other then a heated argument.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
CanadienHedgie said:
leaveittoweaver said:
The point of closing a topic isn't because someone's feeling got hurt, it's because this thread is going no where other then a heated argument.
That was my point exactly thank you

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
TW, I didn't mean to come across as rude, and I sincerely apologize if that's how it sounded. Like you've said in the past, it's easy to misconstrue someone's tone (or lack thereof, since this is text, haha) when using the internet to communicate. Sometimes I forget to add the necessary things to make it clear that I'm being polite, and it gets me in trouble.

The point of my post wasn't to start an argument or create hard feelings - I just don't think it's in any hedgehog's best interest to include a list of mediocre (at best) cat foods in an informational thread aimed at new hedgehog owners. Even if you do include a note saying that "while these foods aren't the greatest, you can still use them", there will be people that think, "Well, since these are on the list, I might as well get the cheap ones" and then load their hedgie up on cat foods where the first ingredient isn't even a real meat or meat meal. TW, you are a VERY caring hedgehog owner - I'm sure you have done your research on corn, and can understand where I'm coming from by expressing my concern over advertising for cat foods with less-than-good ingredients. I'm sure if you offered your hedgehogs ground up corn and meat, they would choose the meat every single time, because it tastes better and IS better for them. :)

I actually personally use a Purina brand :) But only because the first ingredients aren't corn or by-products, lol, and because I wanted a "junk" food to include in Milly's mix since she's young and needs a little extra fat. I'm not saying that every single kind of Purina or Iams or whatever you want to talk about is crappy... just that foods with corn and icky by-products shouldn't be anyone's first choice of food for their babies, and that new-comers to the world of hedgehogs shouldn't be directed to a thread that makes it seem as if a cat food with by-products and corn for the main ingredients are comparable to a cat food with real meat or meat meal and no corn. I know we can all agree that they aren't comparable, lol.

Hugs to you, TW, for the great idea and effort on your part to help educate hedgie owners. And once again, I'm sorry if I came across as rude.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not upset at anyone in particular lately there has been so much taken out of context and explaining it won't help ^.^, it was in my mind to do it and your reasons are rational

·
Registered
548 Posts
That sounds kind of cool...I realize there are some lower cost foods avail that are just fine for some feeding a herd economic wise but for those of us with a single Hedgie or 2 it really is not that costly to feed THE BEST POSSIBLE! I would not mind seeing a list in Best Possible, Good and OK-BUT type idea.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hmmm just read thru...I don't think most people would just choose the cheap brand cause they work. Most newbies only have one hedgie = not that expensive to feed. In my case even tho I tend to use very high quality and more expensive kibblesI would still like to know cheaper = ok just because of the picky factor.

I once had a dog...sick for years with intestinal issues (Gastritis/ IBD and such) and I tried every perfectly organic/ expensive food/ raw food/ hypo allergenic out there...in the end the only food I could feed him that gave him firm stools was some crap I would not even feed as a treat EVER, the ingredients disgusted me... I hated it but it fixed him right up. 2 years of sick and a 16 biopsy exploratory $2000 surgery...fixed by a crap dog kibble :(

So it is nice to know what works even if it is cheapo stuff.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The thing is not that the food is cheap because honestly there's a lot of expensive crappy foods out there(e.g. Royal canin, Iams, Eukanuba(although Eukanuba Pure isn't really that bad). The cheap stuff that is crap is more like Beneful, Ol Roy, Friskies, etc. In the end it ends up being more expensive because you could very likely end up with more health issues resulting in more vet bills.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I feed Purina One and always have. I don't think of myself as a bad person for it :roll: Opinions on food and buttholes have one thing in common, everyone has one. :lol: Anyone else hear of that hog that lived 11 years with Meow Mix as the staple of the diet? :shock:

·
Registered
182 Posts
LarryT said:
I feed Purina One and always have. I don't think of myself as a bad person for it :roll: Opinions on food and buttholes have one thing in common, everyone has one. :lol: Anyone else hear of that hog that lived 11 years with Meow Mix as the staple of the diet? :shock:
Feeding a low quality food doesn't make ANYONE a bad person and that is certainly not what I'm saying. Of course it's a "matter of opinion" to some extent. But all research I've done has indicated a low quality food to negatively effect the health of an animal. :(

I'm sure many animals have lived years on foods that weren't good, but there are many factors that play into long life aside from diet.

Purina has actually improved over the years as well, in fact their new line Purina Beyond is really not bad at all. :)

People should feed what they feel is nutritious, and I suppose that is a matter of opinion. But I would hope that as a forum we would promote the best quality foods :) That's all I'm saying.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts