Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought home our little girl from the breeder yesterday (still to be named), and I was thinking of making an outdoor enclosure/place she can run around for 1-2 hours every day as a fun weekend project.

Something like:

Have any of you built something similar outside? What are your do's and dont's?

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
looks like fun, until the first hawk/cat/dog comes around.

I let Floyd run outside unsupervised in a fully caged enclosure so at least he can't be attacked by hawks. I guess it wouldn't be good if some cats decided to come and trip the cage. though.. leaving him unsupervised wasn't the best idea.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fortunately, we plan to put the enclosure in a completely walled off area of the yard where cats and dogs don't have access. My only worry is the birds of prey. So I was thinking of putting in a little hedgehog house and other objects she can hide in and around. But I suppose even with all that birds of prey would still be a risk, as they are in the wild.

I would be interested to hear what others have done and if birds of prey have been a problem.

I should also mention that this would be somewhat supervised. I wouldn't just leave my pet to her own devices for an hour.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Agreed, it needs to be fully enclosed, even if you're checking on her or nearby. There have been several cases of hawks & crows swooping down to try going after a hedgehog even with their human right there. So I wouldn't take any chances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts