Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
For the last month or so my hedgie Cassandra had her own room, but now she will have to move in a smaller enclousure. My dad and I will be making the enclousure ourselves, but before we begin I would like to know what you think of our plan.

The enclousure will be in the same room as she is now, just next to my bedroom, so I can easily check if she needs anything. We're thinking of a rectangular area made out of wood, with tall walls so she can't easily climb out, and a wire cage at the top so that she can still be safe in case any animals manage to get in her room (sometimes the neighbors' cats find their way in when we're not looking... I doubt they'd do Cassandra much damage, or even that they could get in her room at all, but better safe than sorry).
I plan to have a layer coco fibre on the wooden floor in case she wants to dig a little bit, which she seems to enjoy, and I was considering having a heating mat linked to a thermostat between the floor and the coco fibre (so Cassandra can't directly touch it, or at least not so easily) to make sure the temperatures don't go below 22°C which I read could cause her to hibernate. Should it be necessary, I could also add one or two ceramic heaters on the corners of the enclousure.
The enclousure will have her wheel, a snuggle sack, water and food bowls, and plenty of room to run around and poop like a madman.

Now, I'm not much of an artist but I made a quick 3D representation so that I can easily experiment with new stuff to add in the future without having to actually bother her.

It's not to scale really, but gives an idea of the proportions.

I know I could easily find something very close to this in a store, but my dad and I like to build stuff out of wood, so I guess helping Cassandra get a house all for herself could be a good opportunity to work together and have some fun.

What do you think, would this project be enough, or is there anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This looks great! What dimensions are you going to have? The general min size I've seen is 2' x 4'.

I made my girl a house out of a sheet by plywood and it is 2'x4'. I cut a hole in the top for her CHE heater, and it keeps the place warm enough. The walls are about 18" high. The heater is sitting on my old baking cooling tray as I haven't gotten around to getting some mesh or something to hold the lamp up. I've read that heating mats can burn the poor things somehow but I don't know if that's true.

I initially planned to put a glass sliding door on the front of the enclosure but the pandemic happened and I never got around to it, and it turns out that Reg likes running around my house at night! Who knew! For that reason I don't have much else in her enclosure, though I did recently put some PVC pipe bits in for her to play in, which she ignores unless she needs to hide from me when I go to take her out. I have a box of coco coir near her enclosure and she does like digging in that from time to time.

I think that bioactive and/or naturalistic enclosures are super cool, they've got great ideas for enrichment if you're not sure what else to add in there for your hog. If you search back far enough in this tumblr user's history you'll find a full how-to. She also runs a facebook group for naturalistic/bio habitats for mammals. Hedgehogs of Asgard

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also! I was worried about the wood getting wet, so I lined it with regular shelf-liner. I used a glue gun to stick it to the floor and put it up the sides a bit. It's been up for over a year and is only coming off where I've banged at it when moving her hide about. Reg only pees on her wheel so I usually have some paper towels underneath that I swap out every now and then, and just clean the floor with my regular cleaner.

Also thought I'd share a picture of the enclosure. The scarf draped on the left hand side is a curtain that I put over the house when I put her back in for the night and I'm still awake with lights on, to give her her darkness. I cut* holes in the sides & back for ventilation, bought nice shiny covers for them, but never ended up putting them on.

*I didn't cut them myself, I took the plywood to a local Makerspace and paid someone to cut holes in them to my specified dimensions. I'm not a woodworker, I did this all in my living room with a power drill.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,144 Posts
I wouldn't bother with a wired cage.
The whole enclosure space should be at least 2 inches by 4 inches by however high, should be at least 18 inches as most the time this is higher than the wheel with plenty space above it.
And then you can put on a mesh top - Make sure you can move it so you can get her in and out but its secure that the cats u mentioned wont be able to get in.
So its a little like the C&C cages but the sides are wood instead making it better to prevent any climbing.

Line all your wood with something like sticky back plastic this protects the wood And makes it easy to clean. Or you can use what is said above.

The heat mat would be pointless to, heat mats only heat the floor area that the mat is, which is no good for hedgehogs, they need the whole air heated of they will still get cold.
Use a che on a thermostat or if you dont mind that temp, you can have the whole room heated using a space heater on a thermostat. Whichever method make sure you have a thermometer at her level to check the temp.

You want a wheel, tunnels, hide/snuggle pouch to sleep, food and water bowls, some toys mostly using cat toys, and make sure you don't use the balls with holes.
Oh mine she loves her bridge! Goes over and under it.
If you want a naturalistic enclosure, then definetly go have a look at hedgehogs of asgard!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts