Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Hootie for nearly 3 weeks now. Up until this past weekend, he has always curled up in mine and my friend's old tshirts inside his lil green igloo. The other night I gave him a bath and decided to switch some things around for him in his cage. The next morning he had somehow moved everything around to how it was originally. No joke, and my room mate is afraid of him so theres no way she did it as a prank.

Now, he will not sleep in his igloo. Instead he burrows his way underneath his fleece liners and sleeps under them on top of the plastic cage bottom. When he does this his food and water gets knocked over and he pretty much just makes a big mess. I have tried weighing the blanket down, taping it, giving him an extra fleece to sleep under...and nothing is working. I am afraid he will get hungry/thirsty and not have anythign due to his knocking it over. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nigel does the same thing. I put his ceramic food and water dishes on a small plastic tray. Nothing gets tipped over and everybody is happy. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Does he have a snuggle sack in his igloo? Some other folks with burrowers said it stopped when they got a snuggle sack, so maybe that will help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Turbo is the same although for his liner i have a fleece doubled over and he crawls under the 1 layer and sleeps under there (in the process knocking everything over) but i figured when he was crawling undr there to sleep thats him done for the night, hes finished making a mess of his wheel and hes off to bed, so when he does knock over his bowls he probably doesnt need them afterwards if you get me?

I also noticed he made more of a mess during the night when we hadnt played with him loads, if hes out with us for a couple of hours at night he doesnt tend to make a mess, but when we dont have the time to have him out that long thats when he trashes his cage, so maybe its a way of saying ''spend more time with me parents!!!!''

Turbo has a snuggle sack and a little box of cut up fleece and he uses both every night to dig in but it doesnt always stop him trashing the rest.

They're funny little things :lol:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tama did the same thing so I just gave her one of my extra liners folded and bunched and she has not gone under the liners since.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts