Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little Kookie is 3months old now, and eversince i got her, i've been feeding her RC kitten food (which im going to change to natural balance asap though), anyways, for the past week, i've started giving her mealies (worms) as treats, about 3 times in 1 week, and from the way she eats, i can say that she's crazy about mealies, n would look forward to feeding time, but lately, i stop giving mealies for awhile, in other words trying to give those mealies alternately according to her dietary needs....but now she hardly touches her normal food..n i have a feeling she wants the mealies...i feed her using tweezer (im terrified of worms!!) n everytime i bring out my tweezer (for the use of other things) she would think that im going to give her mealies.....

soooooo....what should i do?? :| i can't possibly give her mealies everyday....right? can i free feed her??

tq in advance!!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Giving a few (3-4) mealies every day is perfectly ok, at least in my understanding. Hedgies in the wild eat a large amount of insects as their natural diet. As long as you recognize that mealies are high in fat, giving 3 - 4 nightly shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I too think that 3-4 daily is fine. Just keep an eye on your hedgie's weight. However, I will suggest making it a daily thing once she's off the kitten food, as the kitten food is already higher in fat. Or, maybe just 1-2 daily until you switch her kibble.

I use tweezers as well :lol: Shinjy will chase the tweezers, whether there's a worm there or not. He gets soooo excited when he sees the tweezers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts