Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently switched my hedgie's food from Pretty Pets to Wellness. It has been a couple days. Since then his poop has been very soft but still the same brown pigment. Is this okay and will his poop go back to normal(firm) soon? I would have switched slower but when I put the wellness in with the pretty pets, he just ate around the pretty pets and at the wellness, therefore i just filled it with all wellness.
Another thing i'm concerned about, i recently contracted a rare fungal infection from my hedgehog. It is now healing and some areas have an extremely thin layer of skin. (It looks like i got a second degree burn) he poked this area and i bled. Am i at risk that this fungus is now going to get into my blood stream? can i get sick? I know i'm supposed to be more careful with handling him but it happened while i was giving him a bath.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I can't help with your second question, sorry...
But with the first, it's probably just the quick food change and he should be fine. :) It's much better for him to have a couple of soft stools than to be on the Pretty Pets any longer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that's true; another addition to the "poop question" it also smells sooo strong. really bad too. i could smell it from across the room last night. :shock:

·
Registered
395 Posts
it also wouldn't be a bad idea to add a second food to the mix and reduce the amount of wellness in the mix. usually do 1/3 wellness 2/3 other food, and he will eat all the wellness and move onto the other food. Any more than that and he gets really smelly poops.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i was thinking about doing two foods. maybe chicken soup? will that go well with wellness? it sounds silly but is there certain combinations to stay away from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.