Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently switched my hedgie's food from Pretty Pets to Wellness. It has been a couple days. Since then his poop has been very soft but still the same brown pigment. Is this okay and will his poop go back to normal(firm) soon? I would have switched slower but when I put the wellness in with the pretty pets, he just ate around the pretty pets and at the wellness, therefore i just filled it with all wellness.
Another thing i'm concerned about, i recently contracted a rare fungal infection from my hedgehog. It is now healing and some areas have an extremely thin layer of skin. (It looks like i got a second degree burn) he poked this area and i bled. Am i at risk that this fungus is now going to get into my blood stream? can i get sick? I know i'm supposed to be more careful with handling him but it happened while i was giving him a bath.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I can't help with your second question, sorry...
But with the first, it's probably just the quick food change and he should be fine. :) It's much better for him to have a couple of soft stools than to be on the Pretty Pets any longer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah that's true; another addition to the "poop question" it also smells sooo strong. really bad too. i could smell it from across the room last night. :shock:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Ive read on here several other places that Wellness seems to bring out the "best" in our little ones...lol Seems to be the nature of the beast when dealing with wellness

·
Registered
395 Posts
it also wouldn't be a bad idea to add a second food to the mix and reduce the amount of wellness in the mix. usually do 1/3 wellness 2/3 other food, and he will eat all the wellness and move onto the other food. Any more than that and he gets really smelly poops.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i was thinking about doing two foods. maybe chicken soup? will that go well with wellness? it sounds silly but is there certain combinations to stay away from?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.