Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hedgehog three days ago, and he has been sneezing alot. The breeder said that it was just the new pine bedding that was making him sneeze, and it would only last a day. Now I'm beggining to wonder if it isn't a cold. I can't tell if there is nasal discharge, because he is always licking his nose so it is always wet. The only unusual thing he has been doing is sneezing, he hasn't been coughing or anything. Is this sounding like a cold?

·
Registered
581 Posts
He might be allergic to the pine bedding, it has oils that can be bad for them. We have switched to fleece liners and not only do we not have to worry about the allergies, they are also alot more cost effective since we can simply wash and reuse them. we change them out ever couple of days (more if she is being particularly messy) then we wash them all once a week.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Put him on cloth liners. A pillowcase will do temporarily. If he still sneezes after the switch it is not the shavings.

What did the breeder have them on?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Take him to the vet for a check up just to be on the safe side. Also I would use liners wood shavings cause mites and the dust could be what is giving him the cold sometimes it takes a while to affect them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Where do i buy these fleece liners that i hear so much about?
And is that all you use in the cage or do you put something on top?
Our hedgehog seems to love shredded paper...is there anything wrong with using that?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can buy yards of fleece at a fabric store, or you can buy fleece blankets from Walmart or a store like that. Then you just cut them to the size of your cage. That's all I use and it works great. I do put a folded paper towel underneath her wheel that catches most, if not all of the poop. If your hedgies like to dig, you can cut some fleece into strips and make a pile for them to dig in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oh, thank you! I have some fleece blankets at home that I bought for our dog, so that is perfect!
Jess and Sandra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts