Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My henry seems to have a fascination with going under my couch to scratch and run around. I don't mind too much but it means i can't see him playing. Also im gonna put my back out having to keep moving the couch to get him out! :roll:

Can any one suggest an alternative toy i could get him or something i can make for an exploring hedgehog?

I've got a box with bedding & a toilet roll tude as well as a ball, cuddly toy and his wheel, but all he wants to do when he's out of his cage is get under the sofa or the coffee table. When he's awake he's not sleeping under them just rummaging around.

Sorry if im repeating a thread, i did have a look but couldn't find anything regarding exploring.

Any suggestions gratefully received by me and henry! x

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Try blocking off your couch so he can't go under it. Either use an exercise pen around it, pieces of coroplast blocking the way under, or do something permanent. For our ferrets, we turned the couch upside down and cut pieces of wood to fit under the edge to about 1/4" above floor height. You can paint the wood to match the couch and it will never be noticed.

One concern with him going under the couch is that he gets up in the springs and if someone sits on the couch he will get hurt or killed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
not to mention them trying to nibble on things they shouldn't, and if your house is anything like mine, our couches rarely get cleaned under them, so there is god knows what under there

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. Ill get some wood, sounds perfect.

I clean under and behind the couch every other week so i don't think theres much under there but im gonna block it off from him anyway!

But once i stop him going under is there anything safe i can get for him that will amuse him as i don't want him getting bored. The box i've got at the moment doesn't seem to be as interesting as the places he's not allowed to go! ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
lol all hedgehogs want to go where they can't. The best thing i can think of it so get a large box and stuff it FULL of blankets and towels and stuff. Leave the top open and cut a hole in the side so they can get in an out. Vex will spend hours in there digging until he gets to the top and claims his mealworm.

Something else you may want to try to to take a box the height of the space under the couch, and putting it against a wall with a treat at the very back. I find vex loves to do anything where he has to work for his treats. It makes it more entertaining for both of us, and provides him some enrichment.

·
Registered
543 Posts
He may like it under there due to it being dark and close quartered. Try turning on a red light so you can see him and he will feel more secure. My girls can see the red light but they don't seem to mind it as much as white. It lets me see them without them trying to hide.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, im gonna try them all.

I did have to laugh last night when i got him out and we spent over 45 minutes of me darting all over place trying to stop him getting under the couch! (didn't have time to get the wood). As soon as i moved him away he'd negotiate a different route and then leg it at high speed towards the sofa! Or he'd go on his wheel for a minute, i would relax & then he would suddenly try again. He's not stupid, I got more of a work out than he did!

Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts