Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I went out and bought all the supplies my hedgie needs. But went I came back I found out my air conditioning broke. (Nothing related to hedgies, I know. Keep reading) I live in Florida so right now my house is like 88 fahrenheit. (I bet it will be even hotter latter in the summer) I'm getting it fixed tomorrow. Then it occur to me: what if this happens when my hedgie is here? Right now I'm ok with standing in front of my fridge every few minutes. Will that be ok for my future hedgie. I don't want it to have a heat stroke but I also don't want it to hibernate. :(The only solution I came up with is get to know my nieghbors and go over to their houses to borrow some air conditioning whenever needed. I don't think I will need to worry about her hibernating because I can always take her heat lamp that I just picked up today and set it up at my neighbor's house. But if you guys have a solution any other than that it would be awesome. Mainly because I'm not really sure who my neighbors are (do they smoke, do they have other pets, do they have allergies to hedgehogs, do they have children) since I just moved in this neighborhood not long ago. I will do it for my little bushpig if it is nesessary, but if there is any better solutions that can help me avoid the awkwardness of having to ask a stranger about their personal life I will give it a shot. :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can help keep the house in general cooler by closing all of the shades on the windows or otherwise getting them blocked off to keep the sunlight from coming in & heating the house up. Fans help with air circulation, just make sure you don't have them pointed directly into hedgie's cage, since the draft can potentially cause hibernation attempts. If it cools down at all at night, then you can uncover the windows & get things opened up to take advantage of the cooler air, then get up early to shut things up again & keep the cooler air in.

For hedgie specifically, you can put a marble or slate tile in the cage for them to splat out on, if they choose to, which can help cool them down. I think I only ever saw Lily use hers once or twice, but she also liked warmer temperatures & didn't get overheated easily. You can also use freezer/ice packs, placed on top of the cage so the cool air sinks down into the cage. Personally I would be careful placing anything like that directly in the cage unless hedgie seems to be handling the heat very badly & needs to be cooled right away (in which case make sure you cover the ice pack with a towel before putting it against or near them). Otherwise, if they hang out too close to the ice pack for too long, that can trigger a hibernation attempt as well.

In general, hedgehogs are better able to handle too-warm temperatures than too-cool, since that's what their bodies are built to handle in their native habitat. You may see some signs of estivation, the too-warm equivalent of hibernation. It's not as dangerous, but still something to keep a close eye on & try to avoid for too long, as far as I can tell. There's not a ton of information on it, from what I've read - hibernation attempts are far more common in the US, UK, & Canada, with our climates. Signs include splatting out, reduced activity, possibly reduced eating, sweaty/clammy skin, etc. If you see hedgie open-mouth breathing, that'd be a sign of emergency, in my opinion, and that hedgie needs to be cooled down quickly.

Another thing to watch with warm temperatures is dehydration. Make sure hedgie's drinking plenty of water and possibly offer water-heavy foods if you're unsure, like cucumber, iceberg lettuce, and watermelon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I just ordered a thermostat that that does heating and cooling off amazon, if you k ow what your doing you can hook up a small fan or something. It sure if that would be something you can do with a hog? But that's what I can come up with lol.:lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for posting this question. I live in NY and the heat of the summer is approaching quickly and I've been wondering what to do to keep her cool. It's odd, but my hedgie seems to prefer cooler temps. She's always most active the closer to 69* the temp is. We had a cooler night the other night, the room dipped to 71* and she was soooo happy and active. But the room as gotten up to 80-81* and she doesn't seem to come out and do much. I think I might have issues with her when it gets hotter. There are always fans in the room circulating the air, so I'll definitely consider the marble and the cooling packs. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
How old is your little one? I have feeling mine might like the temps a little cooler too but I need my thermostat (FRIDAY! it was backordered or out of stock at the pet store I go to) to see if she just needs a constant temp. I am going to start at 75 degrees and adjust from there. We have the swamp cooler running so I need a better heat source than just turning it on and off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts