Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Thailand, and have had two female hedgehogs for 6 days now. The larger one, Via, (a little over 2 months old) is thriving. But the smaller one, Odete (the pet store told me she was 2 months old but I think she's more like 6 weeks) is not doing as well.

She was doing great until about 2 days ago, her belly started felling cool to the touch. I snuggle with her and warm her up, and then later, when I pick her up again she's cool. She has a small cut on her paw (she got that the same day I got her) and today her eyes started looking a little puffy. I keep them together in a plastic bin, they have plenty of food and water, the floor is covered in wood shavings, and they have two little houses.

She's really small (a third the size of Via) and I'm worried. It doesn't get any colder then 82 degrees here, and she snuggles with the larger one. She doesn't eat the cat food I gave her, but she loves eggs (she ate it aggressively until today - today she wouldn't eat anything.)

She gets up and walks around, and she even tries to run in her wheel. But tonight she stopped opening her eyes, and she hardly reacts when I pick her up. I'm really worried. I've tried finding a heating pad or something like that, but they don't have them in Thailand.

So my question is: What do you do with a 6 week old female hedge hog that is cold, lax and has puffy eyes?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd get her to the vet as soon as you can! Until then, try syringe feeding her a little food and water so she keeps some food in her belly. Also, it might be best to seperate the two girls, just for now until you know what's wrong. You don't want to get your healthy hog sick. Do you have a thermometer to put near the cage for now to see the temperature of the actual air in the cage? Also how long as she seemed lethargic and I'll? I don't want to alarm you, but hedgehogs are great at disguising illness, so if she's displaying symptoms this severe, you may be toeing the line with it being to late. Definitely get her into the vet for an emergency ASAP and get her some food and water. I hope you find some relief!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
For how long hasn't she been eating? You've had her for 6 days, has she eaten anything at all? If not, she is probably malnourished and weak due to lack of food - hedgehogs need to eat regularly or else they'll get downhill real quick. If she doesn't eat you'll have to syringe feed. She definitely needs to see a vet ASAP.

She might be younger than 6 weeks which could mean she's not fully weaned and should still be drinking her mother's milk. A picture could help determine her age (roughly).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She didn't eat when we first got her. But then we started feeding her eggs (about 2 days after we got her) and she loved that, and showed into it. She stopped eating yesterday. Yesterday was when she also stopped trying to move. As far as I can tell she's been ill for about 3 or 4 days now.

And as far as the vet, I don't think they treat hedgehogs over here (crazy I know) but I'll try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts