Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cricket the Gremlin
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 month old quillpig has had anemic poops since I've gotten her and, at first, I thought it was normal for hoglets especially with the stress of a new home and everything, but it still hasn't gotten any better. [Could it possibly be her diet? I'm feeding her Vitakraft Vitasmart Hedgehog formula right now.] She doesn't run very often and doesn't seem to be taking to any litter boxes and I thought I noticed that she strains a bit more when pooping than my previous hedgehog. When she does poop in her wheel, there are times when I notice that it's really sticky with fleece fibers in it and it takes a good deal more effort to scrape off than the nonfleecy poos.

Yesterday, when I was floating her in warm water to clip her nails, I noticed that her belly is really distended and turgid. She didn't ball up extra when I poked at it a little and she's just as curious and active as she always is. She's still eating and drinking like normal, but she is starting to sleep in weirder positions. Her belly is so distended I was wondering if she was pregnant (but I got her at at 8 weeks so she would've had babies by now, right?). I gave her cooked pumpkin from my garden last night which she promptly annointed with and tried wetting her food down to see if maybe dehydration was her problem. I also tried putting her in a warm bath for about 15 minutes but she didn't poop at all.

I woke up this morning to almost no poop in her enclosure, but she did eat all of her food and definitely peed like normal. After combing the forum, I decided that a call to a vet should be my next move, but there aren't any appointments anywhere for a month. They recommended that I try the pet emergency room when I became more concerned but no one was able to give me any recommendations for how long I should wait before bringing her into the pet ER and they also weren't able to give me any other advice on what I should be doing in the meantime.

Does anyone have any other ideas or recommendations? I'm not sure if I should switch her diet right now since she's already in the throes of this constipation calamity but could that be it? She's also a really mouthy pig and will pull on fleece and other fabrics to get herself comfy, so I'm not sure if I should switch her liners out for something else. I read that yogurt could be good to help her gut bacteria, but otherwise I couldn't find anything else online.

Any help would be 100-1000% appreciated!

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,194 Posts
I think - based off the information here, that as she pulls the fleece to make it more comfy, she may be ingesting some the fibres (given you said you find fleece fibres in the poo at times)
So yes it cold be worth changing from fleece or having something else like loose fleece stripes in the hide to try help prevent pulling the fleece.

Most hedgehog foods are rubbish and don't really really do much good for hedgehogs, I can't actually find anything on this food so if you can add the ingredients and protein it would be helpful so we can see more about the food.

I think it might be worth trying the pet emergency or and probably a better more helpful vet if you can.
I think that the vets would be best help if the home things like pumpkin hasnt helped.

I am not a vet, nor am I extremely experienced in this! So I can't really suggest to much!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been having a constipated boy and finally able to bring in next week for the vet. Waited a month, so fully get it there! However to at least keep him going a bit, I've been having to syringe pumpkin daily for him to poop. Not the funnest thing but it is helping keep him semi regular until I can get him in!

I would agree that changing food would be beneficial at some point, but would try to get this sorted first. If still no poops, would bring to the emergency vet as may need an enema or looked at for blockage.
Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts