Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sounds similar to what I've been going through. My hedgie tried to hibernate in late January-early February, I had to treat her with two antibiotics for a URI for a month, and once everything seemed to clear up she fluctuated for awhile, between eating a lot and eating too little, and running a lot/ a little...
and now she seems to have settled down. She seems to be running a lot, her wheel is usually filthy, but she doesn't eat as much as she used to before the hibernation attempt.
I can't offer anything but to say that eventually she settled down to a routine again (I think. It's been the same for about a week. Once it's gone on two weeks I'll feel more certain). It just changed.
I'd be curious to see what other have to say about it.
I wish I could offer more advice. But also I've been noticing some other similar posts so I wonder if it might not be seasonal... but that's seriously going out on a limb.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's taken about a month to get to back to a different, but steady routine. After the month of antibiotics.
My vet isn't sure what's going on either. I'm just keeping an eye on her, and making sure she's not losing any weight. I've started giving her kitten food to help her maintain weight. Mine is getting older, 2 years now, so I don't know if they start eating less as they age, or eating less in the Spring, cause her activity is defintely increasing.
I'm as baffled as you.
It's interesting that the hibernation attempts have led to similar situations with our hedgehogs, though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.