Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help guys, my girl has become constipated and I'm not sure what to do. I've done the suggested things on here. She won't touch pumpkin or sweet potatoes on her own, she's had two warm baths, she poopped a little yesterday but its three tiny poops. She doesn't chew on anything so I don't see where she would have an obstruction, she is drinking but not touching her kibble at all. Very worried, any options I can try, I won't be able to get her into the vet until tommorrow afternoon because of my job, and there isn't anyone else who can take her in for me. This started the day she went to the vet for her checkup and got a "all is healthy" degree from her doctor.

(edit) Just found one article that said to syringe feed her the pumpkin mixed with water, so I'll be attempting that.

(update) She got at least 1.0 ml worth of the pumpkin / water mix and then I gave her 2.0 ml worth of regular water, the water she actually drank herself, still from the syringe but I just had to offer it to her. Her belly doesn't seem bloated though, though when I had her on me, there was kind of a poop smear on my shirt. Another thing I must note is she has not been straining or looked distressed when trying to go to the bathroom, she pees fine but there's just hasn't been any poop since yesterday, and like I said, there was three small ones, color looked fine just small in size, the day before that was one regular size one. She seemed fine on the way to the vet but after coming home, she seemed out of it. The doctor didn't do anything strange either, was a general health check, he listen to her insides, checked her ears, did put some flax oil or some sort of oil on her ears with a q-tip cause she's got tattered ears. Keeping a close eye on her, I just wish it was the weekend and I didn't have to work tommorrow, going to get up early to make sure she gets water.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yupp syringe pumpkin dissolved in warm water, that's the best way to get enough in your hedgie so that it works. You're gonna wanna syringe some food too since she's not eating, otherwise fatty liver disease could set in . Baby food or hills a/d cat food works best or u can grind up your hedgies regular food, dissolve in water and syringe.

Hope the vet sheds some light on the
issue. You may wanna do an xray... It kinda sounds like it could be a
partial blockage, hopefully not though!

Hope your hedgie feels better!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She isn't doing well at all, she's not constipated, but the vets cannot find anything wrong with her, she is just withering away before my very eyes. She's had all the tests that are possible around here within a 150 mile radius worth of vets, but she has just totally stopped eating, drinks a little and sleeps. I've even been forcing feeding her with a syringe for the past week, generally baby food, made a mush out of her regular food. She's lost so much weight and by this point I know internal organ damage is occuring, she went from 269 grams at her first vet visit a week ago, she's 222 now. :(

I'm starting to think she wasn't just a year old. I've forced her mouth open and looked while I was feeding her to see if there was something wrong, and she almost has no teeth, they're all very yellow and worn down, though she ate just fine. I don't want to pull the WHS but the vets can't find her and pondering these two months with her, compared to her newly arrived quarentined sister Hester Sue who is about 16 weeks old, if she was a year, there was something wrong with her.

These are the things I have noted about her since she arrived here. She did have a wobble to her, she would walk fine, but at times and totally random, she would just kind of flop over, not totally over but stumble. I got her the wheel, which she had never had, and when she would walk on it, her back legs would 'frog' out from behind her, I figured it was the fact she had really long nails when I got her, but I trimmed them down and it still continued. From the hours of research that I've done, like I said I know many people sometimes pull the WHS flag out when its something else, but the meds, the tests, vitamins, nothing has changed her, and every day she has grown worse. I just watched her drag herself across the cage very slowly, bad enough that I went to help her, she's been sleeping in what was her 'potty' house which is no longer being used since this, its more open to the air.

I'm at a total lost now, and I hate to say it, but I think at this point she doesn't deserve to suffer as she probably is, and I'll have to walk her to the Rainbow Bridge tommorrow.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm very sorry. :cry:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Oh, honey, I'm sorry. Can't you give it a little longer? How long has this been going on exactly, I can't remember when you said this all started. Regardless of that, though, you definitely don't want her to keep suffering.

If it does have to come to this, I'm very sorry, and I feel your pain. If there's anything I can do to help or if you need to talk, don't hesitate to let me know.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear the bad news :(

Has your vet run xrays and bloodwork (I'm assuming so if you've said they've run ever test they can think of) - what were the results? How experienced is your vet with hedgehogs? Is it possible the tests DID indicate something, but your vet didn't have proper values to compare with so they didn't realize it?

With the movement issues it sounds to me like it could be WHS, but how sudden was the onset? It kind of sounds a little too sudden for WHS, but then again sometimes the early symptoms are barely noticeable, and it isn't diagnosed until it worsens.

I really hope there's something more you can do, but if not, I wish you the best of luck with helping her cross the rainbow bridge.

I am very sorry that you have to go through this :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts