Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 10 weeks old hedgehog last week and since then I've tried to interact with him when he's awake as much as possible. I hand feed him everything and also use the old t shirt trick.

But he's still constant hissing whenever I put my hands near him even if it's for feeding. Picking him up is really difficult cuz he just rolls up in a ball and his spines were pointing in all directions. Also I've noticed he's so easy to be startled at the smallest movements.

At night time I let him run around my room but he'd just find a dark conner and go there to become a ball and sleep

I feel bad like I'm doing domestic abuse or something. Anything I can make him to relax more?

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
470 Posts
You aren't doing anything wrong from what it sounds like! Hedgehogs take time to warm up to people, it may take a few more weeks to a month for your hedgehog to be completely comfortable with you. Don't give up and just make sure to give him time to adjust to his new home and to you! You can try getting a black fabric (or any color) bag that he can sleep in and just putting him in that on your lap. Or just wrapping him up in a blanket so he can get used to being held but not be directly touched. Good luck! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts