Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was thinking about connecting Kipper's cage http://www.petco.com/product/13394/Marc ... SiteSearch to a rubbermaid/sterolite bin so Kipper could have a little more room in his cramped cage (his wheel nearly takes up a 1/3 of the entire cage). In the bin, I was thinking about putting Kipper's wheel in there, along with toys, etc.

I was going to do this by first cutting the metal wires on the side of his cage to form a spot that I can insert a pvc tube in. Of course, I would make sure no points could stick out. Then I would make another hole into the bin (again, no sharp edges present), and then connect the two together via pvc tube.

Does this idea seem too far-fetched, unsafe, or unnessasary to do?

KTH5

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You may have an easier time cutting into the plastic on the bottom depending on how tall it is. You could cut a circle out of the plastic and the tub then put a piece of pvc pipe to connect. I'd probably go with the 4 in pipe to ensure your hedgie has enough clearance. Then you'd just want to make sure that you drill plenty of ventillation in the new bin portion and thaat it had a ventillated top as well. It definately sounds like it could be safety done though.
Good luck and hope to see a pic of the rennovation if you do it :)

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
You can see an example of a similar setup in the cage example thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1860&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

Its about half way down the page.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the metal, but going through the side of the plastic pan. In the link above, you can see where the tube is located. Going through the wire, I feel, would be much too high for a hedgehog and you would have to build a ramp.

·
Registered
115 Posts
This brings up a question I've always wanted to ask. How do you cut into the plastic bins? I'm not a hardware person at all so I have no idea what tool to use.
I've been daydreaming a lot about expanding Pineapple's cage and building something cool for her though. I've heard places like Home Depot cut plastic for you - is that what you guys do?

·
Administrator
3,603 Posts
There are a lot of ways you can do it, some of it depends on the thickness of the plastic. I typically heat the plastic up a bit with a hair dryer to warm it. Warm plastic cuts easier than cold and it is less likely to crack. I use a drill to drill a hole to use for starting the hole. For cutting I've used tin snips/wire snips and have used a dremel tool before. A soldering iron or wood burning tool to melt the plastic would work as well (if you can deal with the melting plastic smell).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, my fault, I didn't even think about cutting the plastic for the cage he has right now...

Thanks for the advice though, and I'll probably end up doing everything over the summer for Kipper. I'll update you guys when I have everything done :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts