Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i went out and brought a 95 qt bin and I'm thinking its going to be a little tight for my hedgie. (i'm trying to have things really BEFORE i get to pick him up)i want him to have room. so, i read that you can connect 2 bins with a PVC pipe or a ferret tube. what is safer and more secure? i also want it to look nice. :)

i read that you can heat the bin where you will make the hole, that it makes it easier? is that true? SO what will hold it in place? like is there anything on the inside of the bin holding the pvc pipe so they dont come apart, i was told that the ferret tube has some kind of end piece to hold it in place? is this true?

thanks a bunch...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would also like to know the answer to this question! What to use to connect the PVC, soda bottle, ferret tube ect. to the actual side of the bin to keep it from falling out?

Great Question!
Kupcake

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LizardGirl said:
You can use a 4" PVC elbow or straight tube. This should be a good size for any hedgie.
thanks, do you know if there is anything that holds it in place, because i'm afraid that one day the bins will disconnect and my hedgie will come out...

do you know which one is safer or is it just on preference?

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
I don't use anything to hold them in place and unless I should bump into the tubs the tubes do not fall out. Never had a hedgehog escape through a tube hole. I used PVC once upon a time, and currently use a ferret tube with a piece of cloth lining it.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I don't use storage bins, but I do have a tube in my hedgie's cage. I bought 20' of vinyl dryer vent tubing, aired it out, and it works great. When it gets dirty, I'll clean it, and when it gets VERY dirty, I toss it and put in a new one!

The ferret tubing is very similar to this dryer vent tubing, it is just a bit thicker and usually colored or clear. Make sure if you use it, that you let it air out because they do smell very strong at first!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Oh yes, there is also the bubble tubing. Forgot about those. And yes, they work too! Though if I had to choose I'd take the PVC just because it's smooth inside. But that's just my opinion.

Whichever fits your hedgie and your budget!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
No idea if they carry them or not in those stores. I think I may have bought one from PetCo once, but I've had these for many many years and don't remember. I know I bought a few online.

·
Registered
126 Posts
just to let you know, the other day, i was at a local petsmart and i saw a special tunnel that can bend into different sizes. plus! it expands. :) i dunno if they sell it at other places, though. just keep in mind-a hedgehog could definitely fit in the tunnel. it is large. :D i think the expanding part is great! it is an indigo color and i think they only sell it in indigo cause i cant find any other colors. here it is:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3155599

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Yep, that's one of the ferret tubes. Not as common as some brands, but out there. The diameter is pretty big, too big, I would think, than needed for a hedgie.

·
Registered
126 Posts
oh, cool! i might want to get that when i get a hedgie. :D i like the lime green one, too.
i didn't know that they made them smaller...i guess i didn't look at the label that said size large!
but a hedgie could still fit in the smaller one, right? let me look at the size...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts