Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought Bruce was a white-bellied salt and pepper but I'm not 100% sure. I thought I would ask the professionals. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't think he was Algerian because he doesn't have the cheek color. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I don't think he'es algerian. Not enough of a mask or cheek patches. I think he'es a grey but then I'm not good with colours. :lol:

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I see cheek patches but they are faint, I am not sure if they count or not.

Inky has light cheek patches, but he is WB, so perhaps this is a WB Grey?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So more than likely a grey and possibly a WB....I guess it can be very hard to tell from a picture :lol:

Thanks alot for the feedback!

He is still quilling so maybe when he is done I will post more pics.

·
Registered
475 Posts
According to Bryan's Algerian color requirements:

1 Forehead Quill Banding
The long, double-banded quills on the forehead are very helpful. If there is good, clean separation between the two bands, the hedgehog is in the White-Bellied colour grouping. If there is poor separation with a fair degree of colour or muddiness between the bands, then the colour is in the Algerian grouping. I can't determine this, since I've have very few WB species. I breed for Algerian colors.

2 Skin Colour
The skin colour over the back is another excellent means of identification. If after reviewing the standardized colour guide you find that your hedgehog's quill colour fits the description given for a particular colour, but that the skin colour is darker, you are likely looking at an Algerian colour. Algerian colours have a skin colour that is a full 5 shades darker than their White-Bellied counterparts. (see skin chart) I can see dark skin on the back of his neck.

3 Mask Colour
Although the differences between mask colours in the two species is difficult to differentiate in colours in the Apricot to Algerian Chocolate range, (Algerian masks are somewhat lighter and more of a brownish tinge) they are very easy to distinguish in the Algerian Grey to Black range. The masks in these colours are considerably darker and extend well past the eye, almost to the point where the face meets the quill line at the side of the face. As well, many display "badger stripes," two stripes that extend from the mask, up the forehead between the eyes, to the quill line. Since he appears to be a GREY, his nose and eye patches are darker, than what I'd call a WB.

4 Mottling
Mottling of the skin on the underbelly (similar to birth marks) is another good indicator. While White-Bellied Salt & Pepper, Dark Grey and Grey (and their associated variants) can and oftentimes do have mottling, all other White-Bellied colours do not. All Algerian colours, on the other hand, can display mottling to some degree. A Cinnicot with mottling, for example, must be an Algerian Cinnicot. Left rear foot in second picture appears to be mottled with darker coloring.

5 Eye Patches
Eye patches are a very distinctive marking seen only in Algerian colours and the odd W.B.Champagne/Cinnicot. These are pale golden-brown patches of colour located just below the eye. They range in intensity from very pale and small in Algerian Champagne to a rich golden-brown and as much as 3/8 inch in diameter in the darker Algerian colours. This particular hedgie, definitely has eye patches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Are my eyes deceiving me or does the hedgie in this picture below have cheek patches ?
(BTW, this is the pictures used to represent the White bellied dark grey in the HHC color chart)

Im on the fence with which Bruce is. I too see his cheek patches, but at the same time his mask is nowhere near as extensive as the Algerian grey/Algerian dark grey hedgie i have/had. Both of them have masking nearly up to the quill line, going past the eye area.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Actually I haven't looked at it in a while, so maybe he has removed the duplicates. But IMO, there used to be some duplicates and it appeared that there were some Algerian pics posted in the WB category.

Bryan is the expert, so he should be able to clear this up. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Another thing that came to mind when i saw Bruce ( I would like very much to hear Brian's opinion on this ). I wonder if the masks Algerians have grow more pronounced as they grow up? I have noticed this was the case for both Demon and Angel. When they were babies their masking looked somewhat in between, similar to how Bruce's looks now. However as they grew up it became very clear they were Algerian.

Some pictures to show what i mean

Demon as a baby

As an Adult

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Some WB hedgies have cheek patches but none of the other traits point to Algerian, so they are classified as WB. Inky has cheek patches and many double-banded quills, but he is WB. For many of the darker colors the patches have to be distict to count, as well as have the other traits.

I am not the expert, but I would still say this is a WB. Bryan, come prove us all wrong. :lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Interesting question.

Most baby hedgehogs go through at least 4 major quillings, with the fourth occurring at 9 weeks of age. That is generally considered to be the final colour change, but some are delayed up to the 12th week with the colour gradually changing during those extra 3 weeks. The mask, like any other colour characteristic, can change (lighten or darken) during this time.

Beyond that, however, and the colour characteristics - including the mask - are pretty much fixed and don't change until age-related fading kicks in past 1 year of age, at which point the mask may fade, but certainly won't grow and darken.

Bryan

·
Registered
228 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Some WB hedgies have cheek patches but none of the other traits point to Algerian, so they are classified as WB. Inky has cheek patches and many double-banded quills, but he is WB. For many of the darker colors the patches have to be distict to count, as well as have the other traits.

I am not the expert, but I would still say this is a WB. Bryan, come prove us all wrong. :lol:
Actually, if you look closely you'll see badger stripes on the forehead. Plus, the banding of the
forehead quills is very indistinct. From what I can see, this looks like an Algerian Dark Grey.
:)

Bryan

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Well I guess I'm going to have to re-access some of my hedgehogs that I assumed were wb. I assumed algerian dark greys all looked like Demon, with or without the badger stripes.

I have a few that look like Bruce and I assumed they were wb. Geez, I'm even worse at colours than I thought. :lol:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts