Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently rescued my hedgie Misaki from a neglectful household and she has been warming up to me just fine, however the previous owner used only a heat lamp in a wire cage. I have now purchased a heat pad but it doesn't seem to be enough heat for her. I can use a space heater all day in the room but the temperature doesn't stay consistent (temperature of the room rises but the temperature of the cage remains low at 72°F)
The only room she can stay in is the one she is currently in and it tends to be one of the coldest rooms in the house, and the only way I can keep her warm is to crank the heat in the room up high which is uncomfortable for me. I am also worried about potential day/night cycle issues as my schedule doesn't allow for me to turn the lights out until 10 PM and feed her at the same time (past dusk, when hedgies usually search for food). I'm concerned about her going into hibernation as I've already had a scare (my cat unplugged the space heater while I was asleep) what can I do? I'm heavily debating if I'll even be able to properly take care of her at this point, as I believe it will be much harder in the winter. Any help would be much appreciated! Please be honest as I'm worried my living situation may not be well-suited for a pet hedgehog and I'd just like for her to have a quality life which I am unsure I can provide for her at this time. Thankyou!

·
Registered
Cassie is nine months old, weighs 496 grams and her favorite food is cat food!
38 Posts
You could add a 60 watt (or lower) ceramic heat emitter on top of the heating pad. Or you could just switch fully to a 100 watt heat emitter (or maybe even 150 if your house gets too cold.)

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
522 Posts
I would suggest buying a ceramic heat emitter, they produce no light, but produce a fair amount of heat. You can buy a plant heater monitor with it that monitors the temperature and turns the heat on and off based on that. 72 isn't that bad for a hedgie, certainly could be a little higher, but I have my cage temp set to 76, so it's okay for now. I would suggest putting some extra blankets for your hedgie and possibly a hot water bottle wrapped in blankets (so it does not burn her). Also, you can hold her a lot if you can, body heat is a warmer for them too :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could add a 60 watt (or lower) ceramic heat emitter on top of the heating pad. Or you could just switch fully to a 100 watt heat emitter (or maybe even 150 if your house gets too cold.)
Thankyou for the reccomendation. I just ordered two ceramic bulbs as well as a thermostat to help control the heat inside the cage better. I'm hoping that the combination of these two things will be enough heat for her moving forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts