Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Paco has not pooped for over 24 hours. He is eating and drinking a bit, and peeing but not pooping. What can I do to ensure that he is not constipated? I am wondering if the pain meds are affecting that somewhat. Today was his last dose, but I still have ointment to put on his feet. I have an appointment for tomorrow afternoon at the vet for a check up. Each time I put him back in his cage, he does a couple of figure 8's around his food/water dishes and igloo and then goes to sleep for a bit. So he is walking on his feet. I am just concerned about the lack of poop.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First, try to give him a bath. Mahority of hedgehogs will poop in the bath.

Supervise him to make sure that he is constipated. If you see that he's trying to poop and there's nothing you can try to guive him some fibre as All Bran or prune that works well.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Normally a bath will help but with his burned feet I wouldn't give him a bath without consulting the vet. Canned unseasoned pumpkin works great. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I tried the pumpkin, he didn't like it that much...I have put a bit in a dish each night, but he is not taking to it that well. The vet said it would be ok to give him a foot bath every couple of days to help soften up the feet and then put ointment on them. I gave him a bath today and he did poop a bit, but I could tell it was hard for him. Giving him prune juice, should I just add some to his water, or give it to him via syringe? Also how much should I give him and how often? I am still giving him a bit of food/water via syringe and then I leave some moist food in his cage over night. He is eating that as well as some kibble. I have mixed some kibble in with the moist to get him to eat more of that. On a side note..the vet said Paco's feet are healing up well, no infection at all...so I am happy about that.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Yay for healing feet! ^_^

My guy likes his pumpkin warm and a bit drier. If it's a bit wet and fresh out of the can, he tends not to be as interested in it and will only take a few bites. However, when I let it sit out a bit(I tend to have it in a bowl and sit it on top of my space heater :lol: ) and the pumpkin dries out a bit. He'll eat it all up quickly. I've always spoon fed him his pumpkin(first when I first got him, and now ever so often as a treat), and with it slightly drier, I just have a bit on a small plastic spoon and he'll eat it right up.

Now, I also have his pumpkin frozen into ice cubes(didn't want to waste that whole HUGE can of pumpkin when I can only use about 10 teaspoons before it goes bad), so I'll just heat it up in the microwave, and it tends to come out a bit dry, which is perfect for him.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You Immortalia for the tip. I will certainly try to feed him via spoon then just leave it for him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts