Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please post good vets you have been to. Name the vet clinic as well as the name of the veterinarian you saw as sometimes a vet clinic can have both good and bad vets. Put the city as the subject line.

This is a information thread only. To keep this easy to follow for people in search of a vet all chat or questions will be removed. Please only post if you have a vet recommendation.

If a poster wishes to add more information, post what you want added to your original post and then ask a mod or admin to include your new post with the original.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Denver & Golden, Colorado

I can help a bit here. I have talked to several exotic vets, as well as those who run the few reptile rescues here in Colorado. They have said that Dr. Fitzgerald of Alameda East was not recommended to go to as far as exotics go. They didn't specify why, but I know he personally rubs me the wrong way. He's the vet that used to be on Emergency Vets (Animal Planet show). I will have to give one of the reptile rescues a call to get their reasoning on why he's not recommended.

His info:

Dr Kevin T. Fitzgerald
Emergency Vets / Alameda East Vet Hospital
9770 E. Alameda Ave
Denver CO, 80230
(303) 366-2639

I am currently using Dr. Ahlgrim at Goldenview, but my opinion is still being formed. I haven't gone often enough to establish full thoughts on her, though I plan on changing that in the new year. I can say that the building seems clean enough and she was as gentle as you can be when a rescued snake I bought off Craigslist was eggbound. The snake did die the next day, but I feel Dr. Ahlgrim did what she could to try to save the situation. The eggs that she pulled out of the poor snake were very gross and I'm surprised she lived as long as she did in that condition. Other than this visit, I can't comment much. I'll update as soon as I can. Perhaps others have a more in depth review?

Kris Ahlgrim, DVM
Goldenview Veterinary Hospital
885 Lupine Street Suite C
Golden CO, 80401
(303) 279-9182

·
Registered
2 Posts
Colorado Springs & Aurora, Colorado

The breeder I bought Roamer from uses:

Dr. Russel Welfare
North Powers Animal Hospital (npahvet.com)
5470 Powers Center Point Suite 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
PH: 719-282-1222

I had a concern about my baby and he was willing to have me call and talk to him for free. I did not need to take advantage of the free consult because the concern resolved itself.

I use:

Dr. Monique Weldon
Loving Family Animal Hospital
14605 E Arapahoe Rd
Aurora, CO 80016
PH: 303-680-5050

They are a brand new office, but everyone has been super duper friendly so far! (I haven't spent a whole lot of time getting to know them yet.) She was very professional and friendly via email. Dr Weldon has 9 years experience treating hedgies, as well as surgery experience with them. She also said that she took special exotic animal courses during vet school, and has an exotics certification. The hospital also has AAHA certification. I feel very comfortable with her experience, and look forward to including her in my animal family :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
Aspenwing Bird & Animal Hospital
Dr. Jolynn Chappell

3904 West Eisenhower Blvd.
Loveland, CO 80537
Phone: (970) 635-1850
Fax: (775) 587-9173
Email: [email protected]

Dr. Chappell is so nice and helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: Colorado Springs & Aurora, Colorado

dreamwriter90 said:
I use:

Dr. Monique Weldon
14605 E Arapahoe Rd
Aurora, CO 80016

They are a brand new office, but everyone has been super duper friendly so far! (I haven't spent a whole lot of time getting to know them yet.) She was very professional and friendly via email. Dr Weldon has 9 years experience treating hedgies, as well as surgery experience with them. She also said that she took special exotic animal courses during vet school, and has an exotics certification. The hospital also has AAHA certification. I feel very comfortable with her experience, and look forward to including her in my animal family :)
I highly highly HIGHLY recommend Dr. Weldon. She is an excellent vet, and you can really tell that she loves her profession. She, along with the vet tech staff, handle my Lilo so well and love having her in the office. She knew just what to do when Lilo had an abscess on her paw and gave her treatment right away. The best part is that the clinic is not even 5 minutes from my home, which makes it very convenient for me and less stressful for Lilo. If you are in the area and looking for a knowledgeable vet and all around wonderful staff to bring your hedgie (or any animal to) Loving Family Animal Hospital is top notch.

Reactions: AlexLovesOlive

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wasn't sure where to put this, anyone know of one anywhere near Parker,Colorado? Aurora is a little far, same with Denver, Colorado Springs is pretty far away in the other direction, and Loveland is a whole hours and a half away!

·
Registered
137 Posts
alexvdl said:
Slightly OT, but what part of Parker? I attended Ponderosa High School and lived in Stroh Ranch
I'm attending next year and I live in the timbers. So anywhere you go to!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I live in Littleton Colorado. I've seen my exotic vet for my ferrets before. She had been so gentle with them and with me when they had become afflicted with adrenal disease. I love the fact that she takes her time and explains what her plans are for the long-term care of the animal she is seeing. She will be my vet when I pick up my hedgie next week.

Her information: Dr. Paula Bumpers at Canyon View Animal Hospital
12482 W Ken Caryl Ave
Littleton, CO 80127
(303) 948-5000
canyonviewah.com

Hours:
Mon-Tue 7:30 am - 7 pm
Wed-Fri 7:30 am - 6 pm
Sat 9 am - 3 pm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fort Collins

Dr. Luci Dimick
Trilby Companion Animal Hospital
125 West Trilby Road
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Phone: 970-223-3204

Dr. Dimick was nice and very informative. She handled my hedgehog very well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got back from a vet in Greeley, CO. The clinic is called Companion Animal hospital, and they have locations in Boulder, Lafayette, Greeley, and Fort Collins. Dr. Blair saw my baby, and she was super sweet, knowledgable about hedgies, and was very patient with Clover being grumpy that early in the morning. The clinic is very cute, and you can tell they really care for animals there. The cost of a wellness checkup for him (no tests, just poking around to make sure he's healthy) was $38.00.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I highly highly recommend Loving Family Animal Hospital, 14605 E Arapahoe Rd, Aurora, CO 80016, Phone: 303-680-5050. All of the staff there are experienced, professional, and friendly, and the building is modern and nice. I had always used Dr. Daub for Layla, she was helpful and informative, and she always made sure to call/email and check up on us even when we were done with treatments and followup exams such :) When we had to put Layla down yesterday, she was extremely kind and sympathetic about it and treated us and Layla with great care. I know her and Dr. Weldon are experience exotics vets, and the hospital handles hedgies all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dr. Monique Weldon
14605 E Arapahoe Rd
Aurora, CO 80016

She is amazing and very knowledgeable. Had to take my 8 week old, Sonic, in for a check-up and Dr. Weldon took VERY good care of her. Will absolutely stay with this clinic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dublin Animal Hospital in Colorado Springs was very good to me and Thea this summer. My local vet told me he wouldn't know how to help a hedgehog if one came to him for treatment, and then recommended this practice to me.
They gave her a check up when I first got her and she was treated for mites and a URI there. I had to ask that she be treated with revolution, but they were happy to work with me and try it, which I think is important. They also were very good about answering my questions and addressing my concerns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hedgehog vets in Colorado

If you are able to get to Fort Collins CO with your little one, the Veterinary Teaching Hospital at Colorado State University is well worth the drive. We have visited Goldenview and Parker Center -- both good experiences for regular checkups -- but the small animal/exotics team at CSU was extraordinary. (Our little Murdock required more involved care and testing.)

Colorado State University
Veterinary Training Hospital
300 West Drake Road
Fort Collins, CO 80523
(970) 297-5000

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/Pages/default.aspx

·
Registered
3 Posts
We used Aurora Animal Hospital when our hedgie became sick. They were very friendly and knowledgeable. The process of putting out kiddo to sleep was very done. It reminded me of the service that funeral homes provide when a love one passes.

Aurora Animal Hospital 20250 East Smoky Hill Road, Centennial, CO, 80015, USA 303-680-7305

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
487 Posts
Dr. Russel Welfare
North Powers Animal Hospital (npahvet.com)
5470 Powers Center Point Suite 100
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
PH: 719-282-1222

Amazing veterinarian and reasonable prices!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts