Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ace is white all over but had a black spot on one side of his quills. His eyes look black but sometimes they look like a dark ruby.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm not sure of the color, but that's an ADORABLE hedgehog you have there.

·
Registered
754 Posts
He is either a chocolate or gray pinto. Does he have any colored spots (mottling) on his legs or belly?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would guess Grey Pinto, not knowing WB or Algerian because the entire head is affected by the pinto... You have a GORGEOUS hedgie! Very unusual.

·
Registered
508 Posts
oh my gosh! he is beautiful! thats so cool how hes white with the black!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hedgiepets said:
He is either a chocolate or gray pinto. Does he have any colored spots (mottling) on his legs or belly?
He does not have any spots on his skin.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PixiesExoticHedgies said:
can you post a close up pic of the black spot?
trying to determine if the quills are banded or solid.

The quills are banded and only on one side.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Wow.....He's a beautiful hedgie! But I don't even want to make a guess at his coloring, as he appears to be a 'reverse' pinto. I will take a guess and say that I believe he is of the White Bellied variety. I'm sure Bryan or Reaper will jump in with an official answer soon. I've only seen one other hedgie even similar to yours. It is solid white and has a dark pinto marking on his butt.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd really like to see larger photos, but from what little I can see, I'd suspect he's an Algerian Chocolate Pinto given both the banding color and the skin under those quills. (it just isn't dark enough for Grey)
:)

Bryan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Is there such a thing as a reverse pinto? Or does pinto just mean spotted, not matter what color... If that question doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll try to find better words :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Technically there's no such thing. I mean, exactly what would a reverse pinto be?? :?
From a non-technical standpoint, I suppose the term could apply, but I think "High Pinto" or (as in this case) "Extremely High White Pinto" would be more of a fit.

And yes "Pinto" simply refers to patches of white on a coloured hedgehog. In this case, it's a lot of white. :)

Bryan

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bryan, I'm curious....what makes him Algerian?
He has no obvious mask and his skin is all pink (with exception of pinto marking).
That's what I was wondering!! :?: I don't think that he's an algerian..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Bryan, I'm curious....what makes him Algerian?
He has no obvious mask and his skin is all pink (with exception of pinto marking).
Excellent question. :)

I'm basing this on the color of the banding. White-Bellied and Algerian Chocolates have distinctive hues to the band color that are quite recognizable to the trained eye, and in this case, I'm seeing very a very distinctive Algerian tone. Depending on how accurate the photo is to the true color, this may even be an Algerian Grey. That's why I'd really like to see larger photos.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts