Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently adopted a baby hedgehog that I was told will be a year old in August. I was told he is a Pinto Hedgehog but upon reading the color guide I'm beginning to question if perhaps the original owner was told the wrong breed?

He's all white-ish yellow (very faint off white) with a white underbelly and face. His nose is light brown as are his ears. Now there are about 15-20 quills on just his head that are white tipped with a brown base near the root. The rest of the quills are all white-ish.

According to the color guide if he is a Pinto hedgehog he would have white tipped brown based quills on the top of his body from head to butt.

Oh and his eyes are solid black if that means anything.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

Here are a few pictures of Casper to show his color, his eyes, nose, ears and the brown rooted quills on the top of his head..

Input on the breed of Casper would be greatly appreciated, because as I said above I'm really beginning to question if he is indeed a pinto like the original owner was told.

Thanks so much!

P.s sorry for such large pictures but I felt it was the best way to show the colours with detail plus the image hosting site I use is being weird with my picture sizes.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
He is definitely a white color of some sort. I would say he has too many white quills to be either snowflake or pinto. Pinto is a pattern when there is a lack of pigment in the skin and that skin only grows white quills. Snowflake is where 30 to 70% of the quills that grow in as an adult are white, it looks more like a dusting of white.

Here is what I think he is.

BROWN WHITE
The banded quills are white, banded by light oak-brown.
Between 95 and 97% of the quills are solid white
The majority of the banded quills are limited to the forehead.
The skin on the shoulders is pink with a small amount of grey pigmentation.
The nose is chocolate-brown.
The eyes are black and have a light blue ring around the outer edges (the sclera).
There is a pale brown mask.
There is no mottling of the underbelly.

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/colorguide.shtml This is the webpage I used.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He is definitely a white color of some sort. I would say he has too many white quills to be either snowflake or pinto. Pinto is a pattern when there is a lack of pigment in the skin and that skin only grows white quills. Snowflake is where 30 to 70% of the quills that grow in as an adult are white, it looks more like a dusting of white.

Here is what I think he is.

BROWN WHITE
The banded quills are white, banded by light oak-brown.
Between 95 and 97% of the quills are solid white
The majority of the banded quills are limited to the forehead.
The skin on the shoulders is pink with a small amount of grey pigmentation.
The nose is chocolate-brown.
The eyes are black and have a light blue ring around the outer edges (the sclera).
There is a pale brown mask.
There is no mottling of the underbelly.

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/colorguide.shtml This is the webpage I used.
That actually does describe him better than the description for Pintos. He's been dropping a lot of quills these last few days. I'm wondering if that's normal since he's just approaching his one year birthday.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I found out that Casper's birthday is August 30th. So he will be 1 next month. I asked the previous owner if she's sure the breeder said Casper is a pinto and she said she is sure but I'm not convinced.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
He is most definitely not a pinto. He has too much white to be one.
This is not true. While this hedgehog is indeed most likely a white of some sorts, pinto is simply a pattern. The spots can be really small or so big that the entire hedgehog is white.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Regardless of his breed we still love him to pieces. I recently hurt my shoulder pretty bad and have been having to wear a sling so I didn't want Casper to not continue getting the affection and attention he deserves so he's at my moms for the time being so she can take him out and hold him and play with him until my shoulder is better and my doctors appointments have settled down. My mom doesn't want to give him back lol she said when I take Casper home she wants me to help find her a Hedgie of her own so I'm keeping my eyes open for any in our part of Ontario.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Fascinating, Draenog! I was under the impression that there had to be a dark spot of some sort for the hedgehog to be a pinto, and since this guy only has a few dark quills, that ruled it out. Learn something new every day!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Fascinating, Draenog! I was under the impression that there had to be a dark spot of some sort for the hedgehog to be a pinto, and since this guy only has a few dark quills, that ruled it out. Learn something new every day!
Pinto is a pattern (not a colour) and the hedgehog will usually have white spots among the coloured quills. They can have a mask or a white face, which is basically just a spot right in the face (some have only half a mask, etc - it just depends on the placement of the spots. A good example is my Týr (see the link in my signature) who has a white face but it doesn't extend to both ears, so he has mismatched ears - one dark one pink).
But the amount of spots can vary; genetically speaking, a hedgehog who is entirely white due to pinto (basically one massive spot) is still a pinto.
The only problem would be to determine if the white hedgehog is white because of the pinto gene or something else. Pinto doesn't change, so the hedgehog would be white from birth on, unlike most snowflake/white hedgehogs who are often born with darker quills and can turn almost white after quilling. And the snowflake/whites have a mask (although you could have a combination of both snowflake and pinto... to make it even more confusing!)
I've seen a couple of pintos who where almost entirely white (just one tiny, tiny spot somewhere - an entirely white pinto is extremely rare), very interesting colour because they didn't have a mask (like the snowflake colours) and their eyes were black, so it basically looked like an albino with dark eyes. Very pretty contrast imo.

Hope this explains it a little :)

But looking at this particular hedgehog I think its a white/snowflake and not a pinto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts