Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was hoping Bryan might be able to help me with this, or anyone else, of course. I'm in a Human Genetics class this semester, and later in the semester we're going to have to do a 10 minute presentation on something to do with genetics. I was really hoping I might be able to do something related to hedgies, maybe on the color genetics. I read on a different post that the website hedgehogcolors.com wasn't correct, so I was hoping maybe someone else had a better website that included all of the genetics info with it that I could use for my research. I could pick something else for the project if there's not enough know about hedgie color genetics yet, but doing it with hedgies would make it all a lot more fun to do, lol. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm not a geneticist, so aside from building a chart for breeders to predict outcomes from breedings, I haven't put anything together and I've had no one show any interest in collaborating with me to put something together. I can tell you this, however:

Hedgehog colours have very similar colour structure to that of mice, but there are many similarities to Chinchilla genetics.

Hedgehog colours are comprised of 3 variably expressive gene groups. In their homozygous forms, these genes represent Salt & Pepper (Black), Cinnamon and Apricot.

The wild or common form colour, Chocolate, is an equal expression between black and cinnamon; Cinnicot between Apricot and Cinnamon.

Allowing for both dominant and recessive expressions in between these 3 homozygous colours gives us a total of 11 colours per colour set. (White-Bellied has 11; Algerian has 11) These are (in order of darkest to lightest using the White-Bellied colour set as our example):

SALT & PEPPER

Dark Grey
Grey
Chocolate
Brown

CINNAMON

Dark Cinnicot
Black-Eyed Cinnicot
Ruby-Eyed Cinnicot
Champagne

APRICOT

To these 11 colours can be added 3 more colours - double recessive homozygous forms for each of the primary colours - for a total of 14 per set.

For every one of these colours:
- A Snowflake variant can occur. Snowflake is a recessive gene.
- A White variant can occur. White is a dilute.
- A Double White variant can occur. Double White is a double dilute
- A Pinto variant can occur. At this time there appear to be 2 different genes that control pintoism. Both are dominant.

As I mentioned at the beginning, S&P, Cinnamon and Apricot are gene groups. Due to the short time that breeders have been working with hedgehogs, the genes that control quill, skin, mask eye colour, etc, have yet to be separated and identified, so when referring to Apricot, for example, we generally refer to this as one gene or gene group rather than many. The day that we see Apricots with heavy masks is the day that will change. ;)

What else would you like to know?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, all of that was great. :) I'm not sure what exactly I'll need for the project yet, but I might have more questions once we get closer to working on and have learned more in the class. I did see, though, that you mentioned you have put together a chart to predict what colors you'll get when breeding hedgehogs. Do you think I might be able to use it or something like it with my project, or would you rather I not? Thanks so much for all of your help, I really appreciate it! :D I'll make sure I post any other questions I end up having. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts