Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as some of you have heard in my previous post, I have gotten a new baby girl heggie named Coco for her blind next door neighbor which is my unnamed male who I sometimes call Crash (although I have a certain relative who doesn't like me using that name because his baby male who died from mites was named Crash), but I like that name anyways.. Yes they are in separate cages, but I do give them supervised playtime despite peoples concerns with breeding.. They actually do play, it is fun to watch and record.. They play tug-a-war with this jingly cat toy I bought them and it is the cutest thing ever.. Crash hasn't made any moves yet, but that doesn't mean he will.. As long as they play and enjoy each-others company, I am happy.. The REAL concern right now, is Coco's disgusting habit she has in her own cage.. Now, Crash likes to poop under his wheel and under his wheel ONLY, but Coco poops EVERYWHERE, in her food dish, in her pouch, in, around and about the wheel, everywhere.. Which from what I heard is not that abnormal.. However, whenever I move her poop into the opposite corner of her food dish (hoping she will eventually get used to the poop being in that corner and maybe going there eventually), she decides to pick it up with her mouth, and moves it to the opposite corner around her food dish.. This has not only happened once or twice, but the last 4 days straight.. I have even witnessed it with my own eyes and am planning to record it and put it on YouTube.. It is so bizarre and disgusting and can't be good for her health.. She doesn't eat or chew it, she picks it up ever so gently, sets it down and kicks it against her dish.. I know your first response will be 'Don't put the poop in the corner, just take it out as often as possible' which yes, I will.. But I won't always be there when she goes in my sleep and hopefully doesn't move the poop that I don't move into the opposite corner.. Anyone know of hedgehogs moving poop with their mouths? I just don't want a large antibiotic bill from her getting bacteria in her mouth.. When the video is up, I hope you all enjoy :roll:

·
Registered
496 Posts
It is not uncommon for baby hedgehogs to poop excessively. My hedgie actually went through a brief phase of eating her own poop. Fortunately it did not last long! She did not come down with any horrible diseases so regardless of how disgusting it is I doubt that moving the poo around will cause illness.
In any case, maybe that is the area she would prefer to go to the bathroom and if put a litter pan in that corner and move the food somewhere else, she will go there.
As for the thing of the male and female playing together. I don't really understand why you told us about it because of course everyone will disapprove and tell you that mating can happen very quickly and you may not be able to stop it or notice in time.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had the same thought, instead of moving the poop try relocating the food dish and see what happens. When Thistle was a baby she pooped EVERYWHERE too, I'd wake up to find poop in her food, water, sleeping area... but as she got older she contained it better. Now there are occasional miss placed poos, but its mostly on her wheel or in the litter under her wheel. I would also move the poop and put them in the litter hoping she'd get the idea.

As far as poop in her mouth... Thistle grooms herself, included biting and licking off her poop boots everyday, so she has it in her mouth daily, and I've never had a problem (other than being freaked and grossed out at first too).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Whether or not they play, being in the presence of a male hedgehog will cause your female hedgehog to ovulate which if it doesn't lead to babies, WILL lead to health complications down the road. You might think them playing together is cute now, but it won't be cute if you have to put down your female hedgehog because of preventable health issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts
alexvdl said:
Whether or not they play, being in the presence of a male hedgehog will cause your female hedgehog to ovulate which if it doesn't lead to babies, WILL lead to health complications down the road. You might think them playing together is cute now, but it won't be cute if you have to put down your female hedgehog because of preventable health issues.
Exactly What Alex said!!!
Plus if a mating happens before she is full grown, giving birth could kill her. Letting them play together is really irresponsible. Why would you ignore the warnings and advice of all these hedgie experts?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone thought that maybe the poop around the water dish is a territorial thing? Is very common in the wild to mark your territory and although she plays with the male hedgie supposedly really well she maybe trying to make sure he knows that its her food and he is not to come near it?

Just a though :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts