Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted about this issue before, but don't see much on the forum like the problem I am having so wanted to document with pictures.

Penny has been especially cranky. She is currently quilling and has dry skin, however a section has started to yellow and appear very chunky.

I have a vet appointment tomorrow so will update.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The vet was not super helpful. He tested some of the chunks and said he found small traces of bacteria, so gave me a shampoo to use.

I'm going to keep an eye on it. So far, it seems like the shampoo helped to get rid of many of the yellow chunks and now her skin is just dry.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still not convinced she is okay. Underbelly hair seems to be coming out in chunks, and she still has yellow clumps and extremely dry skin (which seems to be caused by the Nolvasan that Vet 1 prescribed).

Seeing Vet 2 on Thursday.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
Has the vet cultured any of these spots on her skin? If it is fungal or bacteria a culture and sensitivity test would determine what type and how to best kill it. That way you aren't just trying various treatments on the pure hope that it will resolve the issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The first vet wanted to use anesthesia to do a skin scraping so I decided to pass.

I have an appointment scheduled on Thursday with a different vet who I have spoken to already directly about their hedgie experience.

Right now, I am trying to treat her dry skin most of all since through this whole ordeal, she is finishing up quilling as well.

·
Administrator
3,616 Posts
I would have passed as well. Some vets jump to the "we need to use gas" line awfully quick instead of spending a few extra minutes to work with a hedgehog.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts