Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cloud has had a bad bout with fluxuating weight recently.

When i got him he initally weighed 410. after about 6 months i weighed him again (to get his weight for the proper dose of ivermectin) and he weighed 350. I left a week later for a trip to NY and left him in the care of my roommate. When i got him back he weighed a mere 290. I took him to the vet the next day and he was up to 315. one week later he was 375, and a week after that he was 400. the next day he was down two 380.
Now cloud is looking thinner. i incorperated A LOT of treats (superworms and wet kitten food) into his diet and also bought wellness/blue spa both with min. 7% fat.
I realize that hedgehogs can lose weight after they poo, but like 20 grams worth?

what is the best way to help him gain weight? I dont want to feed him treats only because it is messing with his bowel big time (messy liquidy poo, i think its from the wet cat food).

Health wise he is still eating drinking and active. I've taken his wheel away from him just because i dont want him to lose the little weight that he is gaining. Cloud just finished his last topical ivermectin treatment and should be mite free. I plan on giving him a drop of revolution once a month just as a precaution (good idea?) Cloud is also on a two topical antifungal treatments for his ringworm, he has one as a bath (followed by a soothing oatmeal bath) and one as drops i rub on his belly, feet and ears.
Cloud's lymph nodes in his legs are swollen, especially the hind right foot which is swollen to the size of a golfball, maybe a little smaller. He is on .25 cc of bayatril twice a day for 14 days and 1 gram of probiocin once day.
Could any of this be causing his weight loss or is it because of the lack of treats in his diet?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would try to increase his fat intake with say chix soup senior added to the mix. He may need a little more fat until his health issues are resolved. Any health issue can stress them. Solid Gold katz-n-flocken is higher in fat as well. Or just get a brand he is already eating and get a higher fat formula. The problem is if you get a really high fat food you may have to remove it later on. So I would add a slightly higher formula like under 15% but more than 7%. That way it won't be such a shock later on if you need to get the fat level back down. Others may have good ideas as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
the wellness i currently have on my desk contains 18% fat, because my vet stated that Vex was very under weight and to use a higher fat food. The full name is "Wellness Complete Health - Holistic Nutrition for your adult cat"

The pea and duck natural balance also have 12% fat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts