Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I obtained a two year old rehome. She was a retired breeder due to the fact she was unsuccessfully bred, so never any babies. It has been extremely hard to gain her trust and she balls and pops at EVERYTHING. But I keep trying and have made progress. However her rear nails were getting VERY long. I tried to play with her feet every time I had her out nightly. Well last night I decided they had to be trimmed tonight no matter what. She really doesn't like water so I figured putting her in water to trim nails would be way to stressful. So after multiple times of touch rear foot.. ball up...touch.. ball up.....touch.....ball up... I decided to try some warm water in the bathtub. Well I put her in about an inch of water and she FROZE. Her feet were out and I gently lifted a rear and clipped. Then did the other rear. It took about a minute !!!! I was amazed.... astounded it was so easy. I thought the water would be stressful and Boy !! was I wrong. The trying to get her comfortable with touching her feet was way more stressful on her. I had been reluctant to try the water. She did however convey her dislike being wet as I wrapped her in a towel to dry off. After a huff or two I let her dig in a fleece blanket and she was FINE. So anyone who is reluctant to try clipping nails in water...DON'T BE. It wasn't deep at all just enough to come up a little on her belly. She was trying to stand on tip toe and was perfectly still. So if you have been debating on how to trim those nails on a huffy hedgie try a little water. I was AMAZED.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
That's great to hear! Hopefully she warms up even more, and you won't have to worry about that popping. :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.